Tunze Care Magnets Fail

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blades don't remove tough algae & Coraline algae very well @ all.
SO, I decided I would sharpen up the edge with a steel like the ones used on knives.
Held in the hand @ a sharp angle I worked both sides until it was fairly sharp .
Back together it went through the tough stuff like it was meant to do.:cool:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice trick, what I like about the Tunze care magnets is that they do not have a sharp corner. So your trick is the best of two worlds.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re having trouble with removing coralline even with the stainless steel clip on blades that come with the CareMagnet?

FE88F744-B384-44A6-B80D-EBA4C8D7DD79.jpeg

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! A very common problem. The blue clip holding the blade becomes weak over time and can’t hold blade in place. Tunze has now rectified it by making the blue clip out of fibreglass, colour now is black.
Blue clip works ok with light film algae . You will begin to see steaks left behind, then you will know the blue clip is getting weak. On coralline my blue clip now pops right off.

You’re having trouble with removing coralline even with the stainless steel clip on blades that come with the CareMagnet?

FE88F744-B384-44A6-B80D-EBA4C8D7DD79.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reinforced mine with plastic pieces to hold the clip in tight but a PITA when you have to remove & reinsert if they don't fall & are hard to find.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned they now come with fibreglass clips as this is a well known problem.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that the comment about the blue clip is correct. I agree that it gets loose and mine has certainly done so, often falling out without being touched when I remove the wet side. The stainless steel blade however is held in place by the back side via the pressure from the magnet, all the blue clip does is stop it sliding backward.

I have also just sharpened my blade on a ceramic oxide sharpening block as it was not removing more troublesome algae. I initially tried cleaning up the edge on a ceramic ‘steel’ which improved it, but not enough. A careful sharpen on the fine side of a ceramic block did the trick however. Just treat it like a good quality flexible knife (e.g. a fish filleter).

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with Roger at Tunze and have seen the blue clip dislodge and the blade dislodge with it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back