TUNZE COMLINE WAVEBOX - 6208 on a Reefer 170

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jay1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I couldn't find anyone showing off or even discussing this, but I wanted to know if anyone has, or think that, a 6208 wavebox is suitable on a Reefer 170. I'm worried about wave height - both spillage, and the variable height causing the herbie drain to act up and get noisey. I already have am MP40 & a Gyre, and while I can certainly crank them up. I would rather introduce a wave maker that cvan generate the unique movement of a wavbox.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the volume and dimensions of the tank? It will make a splashing noise as any wave will and this can be more if water is splashing/surging into an overflow box but it won't generally affect the function of the drain. Wave height is primarily a factor of tank length, as is wave frequency.

OP
OP
Jay1982

Jay1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worried about the noise from the wave itself. But rather, noise from the herbie drain (slurping and gurgling). I know that the Tunze manual states that there should be 5 cm clearance.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with reefer systems but they are quite finicky with water height. If I stick my hand into the aquarium, I need to reset the whole drain system because it starts slurping and its an utter pain.

The system measures 60cm (24.5 in) long x 50cm (20 in) high x 50cm (20 in) wide. 35 gallons in the display.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wave on this tank is not worthwhile. Besides what sounds like an impossibly finicky drain, the s foot length means a very fast wave that is only going to be about 1/2" tall, it is unnaturally fast in a tank this size and quite short. For the real estate taken up and the cost, to me this is not a worthwhile investment and it sounds like it won't work with the drain design. I frequently demo the wave box on a 20 gallon at shows, only because it is small and easy to transport and set up at a show, but it really needs a 4ft+ tank to look natural and work well enough to justify the cost.

OP
OP
Jay1982

Jay1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! When I upgrade I'll get the wavebox then! Cheers!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back