Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks!

This will be a build thread on my downgrade. Why the downgrade?

Seeing this tank in person at the LFS a while ago, I fell in love with it and the whole Red Sea Reefer series. What amazing and clean looking setups. As I picked this one up, it was smaller than I recalled. It had me a little worried until I set it up with my rock and realized it's quite a decent size!

The one issue I had with the tank is the loudness of the drain. After realizing with all Reefers, it takes some tweaking and tuning to get the drain dialed in just right. Though once its there, it's quite a silent tank!

The stand that comes with the Reefer 170 is very neat, modern, and sleek looking. However it is quite compact. That being said, while there is some room to allow you to get creative with cable management, its a possibility I may be building a side cabinet for electronics. Something sleek and black that will match the stand perfectly. This will allow for a much neater look underneath the cabinet. My OCD is pretty bad and looking neat and clean is a big deal to me!

Lighting was a tough decision. I love T5's and have had great success with them. My only drawback on T5's was, I had no where to hang a T5 fixture. I had the option to mount something to the wall or stand to hang them, however I like a clean clean look. Plus the house I'll be in gets quite warm in the summer (Las Vegas heat..) and I didn't want my tank to reach above 80.5 degrees. So LED's were my option. I love LED's a lot and have had great success with them in the past, especially Hydra 26HD's. I wanted to go Radion, which is still a possibility in the future. The SPS AB+ profile setting Ecotech Marine really intrigues me. The reviews I have read show people having great success with the profile. Though with the release of the new HMS mount from AI and past success I've had with the Hydra 26HD, I love the look and color it gives. I was short on time as the few Acropora I do have, were dwindling away with no light.

The Gyre 130 is a downgrade from the Gyre 150 I was previously using on my 56 Gallon Reef. I haven't had a chance to setup the Gyre 130 completely. Its pushing water, but I believe I may have the powerhead completely angled wrong so its not really doing much. Though when I have a chance, I'll get on it and get the flow situated.

The Bubble Magus Curve 5 may be a tad too tall for this sump. The water depth I had the skimmer in my Emerald 26 Sump was perfect and was skimming very nicely. Now its not skimming the greatest and the foam is a little too low in the neck. I'm hoping with a little tweaking or maybe even settling in the new water height, it will start pumping again. If not, I may need to slightly downgrade that as well.

Overall, I'm impressed with the tank. While I had a tank similar to it in size, IM Fusion 40, having the sump makes it a lot better. I love the size of the tanks. They're small and compact, but still allow you to have some fun. My aquascape will allow me to place a variety of Acropora across flat-ish surfaces while still getting a perfect amount of light from above.

System Type: ZEOvit SPS Dominant

Display System:
Display Tank: 24.5x20x20 Reefer 170 - 34 Gallons
Display Lighting: Hydra 26HD w/ HMS Mount
Sump: 12x10

Support System:
Display Flow: Maxspect Gyre-130. (May go MP10QDx2)
Return Pump: EHEIM Compact +2000 Pump
Reactor: Vertex RX-Z 1.5 ZEOlite Reactor
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
ATO: Reefer Series ATU
Doser: BRS 1.1ml Doser x2
Controller: Apex Jr. w/ Energy Bar 4 & 8

Chemical Support:
Alkalinity:
E.S.V. B-Ionic Comp. #1
Calcium: E.S.V. B-Ionic Comp. #2
ZEOvit:
  • ZEOstart3 0.1ml Morning/Night.
  • ZEObak 1 drop three times a week.
  • ZEOfood7 usage depends on corals.
  • Sponge Power 1 drop every other night.
  • Flatworm Stop 1ml every night (Once tank gets more stocked with Acropora.)
  • Will add other ZEOvit products as needed.
Planned Water Chemistry: ZEOvit Recommendation
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Phosphates: 0 ppm
Alkalinity: 7-7.5dKH
Calcium: 410 ppm
Salinity: 1.026
Magnesium: 1250 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

System Plan:

The plan for this system is to run it as close as possible to ZEOvit's guide. This would mean keeping the system ULNS (Ultra Low Nutrient System) while maintaining bright and healthy Acropora. I also plan on doing my absolute best to keep unwanted algae and pests out of the system. I'll also be focusing on purchasing mini colony to colony size acropora. However I'm sure I will obtain a select few frags.

Last edited:

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have everything ship shape and ready to go mate, good to see you reefing no matter what size display :)

OP
OP
H

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a hand full of Acropora including two colonies and varying mini-colonies to frags.

I did a water test today for the first time on this reefer. Alkalinity was a bit low, but surprised at it. A water change and some Alk dosing will bring it back up to 7-7.5 over the next few days.

Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 79.5-80.0
Ca: 415
Alk: 6.1
Mg: ????
Nitrate: 1ppm
Phosphate: Undetectable

Dosing regimen:
ZEOstart - 0.1ml
ZEObak - 1 drop three times a week
Sponge Power - 1 drop every other night
Flatworm Stop - 1ml every night (Just started tonight)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great already!

OP
OP
H

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing pretty well! I removed the two small rocks that gave my scape the "arch" kinda look. It's back to its original shape of the island.

Bought some new acros, just the two in the middle. Ones blue and the other is purple. Should be picking up more Sunday night.

The corals color is okay right now. Going to assume since I just replaced the ZEOvit stones. Even though it's on 3 hours on/off to help reduce the nutrient reduction speed, might be a little too much. No big deal, they will bounce back!

OP
OP
H

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit up a frag saw yesterday here in Las Vegas. It was our annual show where a few out-of-state vendors come in and sell some goodies. We also raffle off some equipment and chemicals. Pretty fun!

Bought some coral of course. One in particular, the Walt Disney Acro. I've been debating on this coral for a long time now. I've always been afraid to spend so much on such a small frag and it just die off. So yesterday, I took the plunge at a pretty killer price!

Acro's have been in four a full day now. They all seem quite happy so lets hope they stay that way!

Everything looks good color wise, but that Walt Disney just POPS!!

Here is a random Acropora I picked up from a vendor at the Frag Swap. Forget the name of it, didn't have much "named" Acropora, which I could usually care less about. But this was a Something Rainbow, forgot the name lol.
myfHa87.jpg

Here is a Cali Tort from DC Corals. They had some gorgeous stuff for sale!
EJdohqj.jpg

Least but not last, here is the amazing Walt Disney!! This is from Devin Berry over at World Class Corals.
W8wQIkE.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good-looking reef! I like the scape a lot!

OP
OP
H

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

-Not too much has changed. Getting pretty great growth on a lot of my Acropora, noticing growth every 2-3 days.
-Walt Disney frag is quickly encrusting and sprouting out two new branches.
-Added a nice Pink Millepora Colony, I mean its really pink in person. Mini colony of it broke off and is placed lower in the tank to see how it does, I may end up selling it locally to make room for something different.
-I also picked up a nice colony of Pearlberry, an Acropora I've always wanted to get but never really had the chance. It was brown and white when I picked it up, however the purple tips and green base is quickly coming in.

Facebook keeps showing memories of my old tank. The urge is so incredibly strong to upgrade and just get a nice big tank I can keep for a long time that I won't outgrow. The Reefer 170 is an absolutely amazing tank, though it is quickly growing small. I'm in the early stages of planning my biggest upgrade. Looking to go 120 Gallons +. Also debating on continuing ZEOvit. While I really enjoy it, I'm afraid it might be too costly on a bigger tank, but what is cheap in this hobby?!

For now, here is a full tank shot I took this morning. I can never get a great picture with the Blue from LED's, so I apologize for the quality of most of my pictures!! I'll one day get a cool camera and get some high-def. pictures like you other reefers!

aKn3oNC.jpg

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has u ever experienced pale color in ur tank ( especially first few months of the set up)?

Back