X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manontunze running 6+ years.
One nano running 3 months.
The other model is almost 3.5 years old. All going strong.
I will replace them when the new model is availae and use my old ones for backup.

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same ATO setup and upgraded for similar reasons. I left my reef tank at a relative's house while I moved, and sure enough, the pump malfunctioned causing the water level to drop, the heater failed, and everything died. I had to turn the pump on/off several times to get it to "prime" and clear out the air in the hose. Very unfortunate, and since then I've upgraded to the hydros ato - no issues so far. I also used an auto aqua ato for a bit - very good ato, but also loud since the pump is in the housing.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a dang minute. I just remembered a huge detail.

Right before my flight, I was trying to see if I can use my 40 gallon RODI brute as the reservoir instead of the 5 gallon bucket. I lifted the ATO pump and put it in the brute, but then decided it wasn’t a good idea so I placed the pump back into the original container.

I looked online and people are saying these tunze ato pumps need to be shaken in the water to remove the air. I did not know this nor did I do that.
This reminds of a recomendation.

Before going on a long trip, get your tank on auto pilot one week prior to going
AND do not touch anything.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went away for 8 weeks M-F, my skimmer overflowed every Tuesday. I get the frustration.

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a dang minute. I just remembered a huge detail.

Right before my flight, I was trying to see if I can use my 40 gallon RODI brute as the reservoir instead of the 5 gallon bucket. I lifted the ATO pump and put it in the brute, but then decided it wasn’t a good idea so I placed the pump back into the original container.

I looked online and people are saying these tunze ato pumps need to be shaken in the water to remove the air. I did not know this nor did I do that.
Hi Miami Reef, I bought the same ato system yesterday and I think I'm having the same problem. it started pumping water when i turned on the power, no more after that. the pump makes a kind of clicking sound every couple of seconds. I tried to shake the pump a bit underwater but nothing changed. am i doing something wrong maybe?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Miami Reef, I bought the same ato system yesterday and I think I'm having the same problem. it started pumping water when i turned on the power, no more after that. the pump makes a kind of clicking sound every couple of seconds. I tried to shake the pump a bit underwater but nothing changed. am i doing something wrong maybe?
I know exactly what you are talking about.

Unplug the unit. Position the magnet so that it lines up on both sides exactly (you don’t want the circles to not match up). Then get air bubbles out by priming (shaking) then plug ATO back in.

It should work flawlessly after this.

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you are talking about.

Unplug the unit. Position the magnet so that it lines up on both sides exactly (you don’t want the circles to not match up). Then get air bubbles out by priming (shaking) then plug ATO back in.

It should work flawlessly after this.
Ok! Will try that later when im home! So with unplug the unit you mean the thing that is on the magnet? Or the pump that needs to hang in the ro water?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Will try that later when im home! So with unplug the unit you mean the thing that is on the magnet? Or the pump that needs to hang in the ro water?
Unplugging the ATO works the same way. It resets it.

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplugging the ATO works the same way. It resets it.
sorry for asking again, the pump makes a kind of soft pumping noise every few seconds as if it is trying to pump something but nothing happens. I've already tried turning the pump over and shaking it in water but that didn't help.. is there anything else I could do? I have just sent Tunze an email.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for asking again, the pump makes a kind of soft pumping noise every few seconds as if it is trying to pump something but nothing happens. I've already tried turning the pump over and shaking it in water but that didn't help.. is there anything else I could do? I have just sent Tunze an email.
Adjust the magnet that’s holding the float switch.

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the magnet that’s holding the float switch.
So i finally found the problem in my case. The magnet is too strong for my glass. I tried the magnet of my glasscleaner and putted some cardboard between the magnet and the glass. Now it seems to work if the water level rise or drop!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i finally found the problem in my case. The magnet is too strong for my glass. I tried the magnet of my glasscleaner and putted some cardboard between the magnet and the glass. Now it seems to work if the water level rise or drop!
Bingo that is one of the causes, I found my 7 gallon cube tank brimming so I pulled the ATO and now use one of those HOT gravity units for 15 bucks works great for a nano.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back