Tunze or maxspect gyre

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,the tank is a 5' 120g that will be primarily a softie,euphillia,maybe a couple of monties.I'm a tunze fan and was thinking 6095 x 2 or maxspect gyre fx 250 x 2,what do you guys think?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either would work very well. I have 2 XF250 Gyres on the second tank below; not many softies but full of anemones, some euphyllias and an elegance who all seem pretty happy with the gentle alternating flow. (Somewhat surprisingly, acros and montis are also thriving.)

Wheeljack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 5ft tank myself and was going to go with the gyre 250's, but they're apparently being discontinued and they're selling out where I normally shop online. Apparently a new 300 series is coming February-ish. I'm torn over whether to wait or just snatch up the 250's.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either would work very well. I have 2 XF250 Gyres on the second tank below; not many softies but full of anemones, some euphyllias and an elegance who all seem pretty happy with the gentle alternating flow. (Somewhat surprisingly, acros and montis are also thriving.)
Nice tank.what size is it?

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 5ft tank myself and was going to go with the gyre 250's, but they're apparently being discontinued and they're selling out where I normally shop online. Apparently a new 300 series is coming February-ish. I'm torn over whether to wait or just snatch up the 250's.
Mmm,will probably go with the tunze,good luck.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank.what size is it?

Reefer 450 (92 + 24 gallons). I run the Gyres at only 40% forward and 30% back, each side alternates for 30 seconds, with opposite timing of the two pumps. Forward is directed obliquely from the back corners toward the front of the tank and slightly inward. Back is directed horizontally behind the rocks. Creates a nice washing machine effect (gentle cycle!) :)

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 450 (92 + 24 gallons). I run the Gyres at only 40% forward and 30% back, each side alternates for 30 seconds, with opposite timing of the two pumps. Forward is directed obliquely from the back corners toward the front of the tank and slightly inward. Back is directed horizontally behind the rocks. Creates a nice washing machine effect (gentle cycle!) :)
Nice!!!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the Tunze is a decade-long purchase and the MaxSpect might be 24 months and maybe a bit more if you clean them a lot. Tunze do not need any maintenance until the screens clog up with coralline and the Gyre needs a lot. Factor all of this into your cost equation. They can both move a lot of water, but that is the least of it, IMO.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with jda. At one time had 3 Gyres and found them to require a lot of cleaning and parts replacement so just not worth it. Tunze are very reliable. Have the new Nero 5 and like the low profile and bluetooth control but is a little early to be able to determine the long term reliability.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the Tunze is a decade-long purchase and the MaxSpect might be 24 months and maybe a bit more if you clean them a lot. Tunze do not need any maintenance until the screens clog up with coralline and the Gyre needs a lot. Factor all of this into your cost equation. They can both move a lot of water, but that is the least of it, IMO.
Definitely agree,I had a couple of tunze years ago and they never failed, real workhorses,have read a lot about gyre maintenance to keep them working properly, I'm sure they're a good pump,but when it comes to longevity I don't think you can beat tunze.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back