Tunze Osmolater Keep Over Filling

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I have had my Tunze Osmolater 3155 for a couple months now and it recently started over filling to the point where the overfill alarm goes off. I checked out the sensor and I don’t see any salt creep on it. Any ideas here ? The sensor is in the return area of my sump so nothing else should be messing with it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the optical sensor is completely underwater when the alarm is going off?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any calcium buildup on the shaft that the float sits on. Maybe there is "drag" occuring so the float doesn't move fast enough. Any siphon occuring?

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any calcium buildup on the shaft that the float sits on. Maybe there is "drag" occuring so the float doesn't move fast enough. Any siphon occuring?
Not that I can see, also when I dose it’s in a different chamber with a power head to help prevent any build up. Honestly since the most recent Red Sea Pro Salt video came out from BRS and I started mixing in smaller batches at lower temps I haven’t really been having to dose regularly.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I can see, also when I dose it’s in a different chamber with a power head to help prevent any build up. Honestly since the most recent Red Sea Pro Salt video came out from BRS and I started mixing in smaller batches at lower temps I haven’t really been having to dose regularly.

I mean the Osmolator float. Float shuts off ATO. Optical sensor detects low level, right?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull the optical sensor and wipe it down really good. If that doesnt work, I'd think it's a bad sensor. @rvitko should be able to help.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s behaving like there’s a tiny bit of coralline on the plastic sensor, or a snail is (was) on the sensor, take it out of the water and have a look under light for coralline, move any snails away from this sensor.
If clean, and no snails, it would need replacement.
I’ve had two do this and one was only 6 months old.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you hear the osmolator pump running when the alarm goes off. If not, is there a temporary siphon occuring when the pump shuts off?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a siphoning issue? Is the outlet of the ATO pump fill tube ever lower than the water level in the ATO reservoir?

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a siphoning issue? Is the outlet of the ATO pump fill tube ever lower than the water level in the ATO reservoir?
This… I have the same ATO, and when I first set it up I noticed the water line that sat in the return chamber of my sump continued to drip after the pump shut off. I raises the tube, and put it at a 45 deg angle, aimed at the glass (to lessen the noise at top off). I have since added a half inch pex pipe, attached to my main return line, with my top off water line placed much higher up… you can’t even hear it fill at this point and the drip has been fully eliminated

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you hear the osmolator pump running when the alarm goes off. If not, is there a temporary siphon occuring when the pump shuts off?
Yes I do hear it running, I haven’t turned it on again since because I am waiting on the water level to go back where it belongs.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ato tank water level must be below water fill line or siphon will occur until it is.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the glass is too thin the magnet is too strong and it will pull the float, you may need to add something to make it thicker.

Back