Tunze Osmolator Siphon ?

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my Tunze Osmolator on a 65 gallon reef tank with the sump at floor level.

My Tunze Top Off pump sits in a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water next to it.

I was playing with the level of the sensors and would get the unit to turn on and pump water. I could hear the pump go on and off, however, it seems that a siphon is created because the RO/DI water line is below the level of the water in the bucket and it just keeps dripping. (probably by 5" or so)

I am missing something or would the water siphon since the bucket's water level is higher than the end of the feed tube?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are correct the Tunze ATO does not come with a siphon break so it is important to have the output tube higher than the storage container with water. ince you have the tube lower than the ATO water bucket that allows for a siphon to be created.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RODI output to your sump should not be in the water. If it is, it will siphon and just send your saltwater to the RODI container. Just mount the hose above your max sump water level and you’ll be good to go

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the end of the output line to be higher than the highest water level in your top off container otherwise you will siphon water after the Tunze shuts off until it is level and he siphon breaks. I had the same issue and as a result can't fill my nice trigger ato container to the top until I redo my fill line to be higher

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what that means is that the water level in the ATO bucket is higher than the output tube that is replenishing your sump. Either lower the water level in the ATO reservoir bucket or raise the ATO feed tube.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep the output tube above the water it is in the instructions says it at least 6 times

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also put a siphon break (hole) in the line in the RO/DI reservoir or use a peristaltic pump instead. I have used both methods with success and am currently using the peristaltic pump method with my reservoir being about 2 to 3 feet above the sump.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also put a siphon break (hole) in the line in the RO/DI reservoir or use a peristaltic pump instead. I have used both methods with success and am currently using the peristaltic pump method with my reservoir being about 2 to 3 feet above the sump.

Sorry to resurrect an OLD thread, but how could I implement either of these methods?

I will have a 65 gal stand up norwesco tank in the room adjacent to my tank and the water feeding into the sump via an osmolator. I plan to keep the RODI tank relatively full, meaning my water line in that tank will be much higher than my sump, where the top off line will terminate.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a plastic check valve on the end of my line, which adds a little resistance, but it also stops the flow in both directions when the pump shuts off. Sometimes the water will drain back into the reservoir and trap air in the pump, which makes it hard for the pump to prime.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To use a peristaltic pump (dosing pump), or any other pump with the Osmolator you connect the OSMOLATOR SWITCHED SOCKET OUTLET https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-switched-socket-outlet.html to the wire that would normally connect to the Osmolator pump then just plug in your pump of choice to the switched socket outlet.

The siphon break is just a small hole that you drill into the outlet line so that a small amount of water comes out while the pump is running and when the pump shuts off the hole will allow air into the line which breaks the siphon. Do a search for siphon break for a better description.

Back