Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello,

I recently bought the ATO and the sensor was working for about a couple of weeks and now it stop. It doesn't seem to be able to sense the low level to fill up with water. The high sensor is working.

Every time I turn it off and on again, it will fill with water but it doesn't seem to know when the level is at the right spot.

Please advise. Thank you.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things have effected my sensor. 1) Biofilm on the sensor. Make sure it's squeaky clean. 2) Bubbles. If it's near a skimmer outflow or something else that's generating bubbles it can interfere with the sensor.

Maybe someone else has some ideas if it's neither of those.

OP
OP
lynn.reef.nerd

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Two things have effected my sensor. 1) Biofilm on the sensor. Make sure it's squeaky clean. 2) Bubbles. If it's near a skimmer outflow or something else that's generating bubbles it can interfere with the sensor.

Maybe someone else has some ideas if it's neither of those.

Thank you. I did wipe down and clean the sensor a couple of days ago and also moved the placement. It did not seem to help unfortunately.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you possibly use kalkwasser or do you have a refugium light that is "growlight spectrum"? Kalk will quickly haze over the sensor if dosed by the sensor and only a mild acid soak will remove that. The sensor works on infrared light, it will be blinded by the infrared portion of a growlight spectrum light. What you describe will be related to the optic sensor or the calibration of the sensor, the pump always runs 15-20 seconds on start up as a self test independent of the sensor.

OP
OP
lynn.reef.nerd

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you possibly use kalkwasser or do you have a refugium light that is "growlight spectrum"? Kalk will quickly haze over the sensor if dosed by the sensor and only a mild acid soak will remove that. The sensor works on infrared light, it will be blinded by the infrared portion of a growlight spectrum light. What you describe will be related to the optic sensor or the calibration of the sensor, the pump always runs 15-20 seconds on start up as a self test independent of the sensor.

It is in a separate compartment where the return pump is. No kalk. I do have a refugium using the zedlight full spectrum but only goes on at night. The ATO is not operating correctly even during the day time.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you email me a copy of the receipt and the serial number? Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

Sparky27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you email me a copy of the receipt and the serial number? Tunze at sbcglobal dot net
I am having the same exact issue with my brand new Osmolator. Bought it 2 weeks ago it’s been installed for 5 days. Did not work out of the box. Pump only runs on start up. No kalkwasser. Refugium light only on at night.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let Roger from Tunze know, he will make it right if the unit is still under warranty. @rvitko
I have same problem but mine is out of warranty. Cleaned it off and moved it twice to other areas in my sump. Think the sensor has gone bad....but I don't know where to find a new sensor. Checked their website and amazon.com and can't find out how to get a replacement. Anyone know?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue last year when I bought it. After two weeks, it would not work on the low end. I was told to clean it (vinegar or citric acid). I was skeptical because it had only been two weeks, but after doing a citric acid bath, it worked fine for a month and then needed another bath. It’s been 8 months since that 2nd bath and no issues.

I would also add that visually the sensor didn’t look dirty/obstructed before cleaning.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same problem but mine is out of warranty. Cleaned it off and moved it twice to other areas in my sump. Think the sensor has gone bad....but I don't know where to find a new sensor. Checked their website and amazon.com and can't find out how to get a replacement. Anyone know?

I don't believe you can do the replacement yourself (if indeed the sensor has gone bad). I think @rvitko needs to recalibrate the device when the sensor is replaced.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do replace sensors, out of warranty they are $29.49, we don't sell this part outright as the calibration needs to be redone when the sensor is replaced and in some cases a resistor on the board has to be replaced to bring the calibration into spec. If you need a repair, please contact me by email directly, Tunze at sbcglobal dot net. The warranty manual that came with your product has all my direct contact information for US customers.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do replace sensors, out of warranty they are $29.49, we don't sell this part outright as the calibration needs to be redone when the sensor is replaced and in some cases a resistor on the board has to be replaced to bring the calibration into spec. If you need a repair, please contact me by email directly, Tunze at sbcglobal dot net. The warranty manual that came with your product has all my direct contact information for US customers.
thank you. I will contact you via email. I don't have my manual as the box is in storage with the rest of my equipment. Will try to look for it. Device is about 12-15 mos old though. Float switch works perfectly and when I unplug and replug the device in the ATO recycles and the pump fills but am not getting regular refill via the ATO sensor as previously with evaporation as before and my return pump is being uncovered.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sensor seems not working as well. Should I email you directly too?

soaked it in vinegar and brushed it real good still not working probably

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sensor seems not working as well. Should I email you directly too?

soaked it in vinegar and brushed it real good still not working probably
Same with mine...seems to have gone MIA on me function wise. When I power off and reset it will sense level and go thru cycle but then come back later and it not triggering refills at all. Float switch works well for audible alarm tho so know that works. Frustrating. :(

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with mine...seems to have gone MIA on me function wise. When I power off and reset it will sense level and go thru cycle but then come back later and it not triggering refills at all. Float switch works well for audible alarm tho so know that works. Frustrating. :(
Yup. Same here. All that money spent but not reliable.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These units are very reliable! Mine is six years old and first issue beside just basic cleaning of the optical sensor. I just emailed Tunze and had a reply in 5 minutes. Can’t ask for better service and reliablty then that.

Back