Tunze Turbelle Stream 6080 pair

Bonvivant25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am a former reefer who is getting back into the hobby as a form of therapy while I am treated for cancer. Because of some financial uncertainty in the future, and the need to keep things simple so my wife can care for the new tank when need be, I am putting together a very simple mixed reef aquarium. My goal is to keep the automation to a minimum and to get the setup done in a cost effective manner. Anyway, my first purchase has been a set of NOS Tunze Turbelle Stream 6080. I know they are very old school and not controllable. However, I have always liked Tunze products. I paid $120 for the pair with all the mounting equipment and such. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone think I got hosed?

Just to give you some insight as to future plans, I will be using a t5 metal halide combo fixture (if I can find one!) The whole thing needs to be simple. Also, I am thinking about a 120 gallon tank.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a pair of old 6080s on ebay for $140 new, so depending on the condition it doesn't sound like a bad deal. Tunze stuff is more expensive than other options today, but I think their good engineering and longevity of the parts can make up for it.

I'm running a pair of tunze nano-streams that are about 15 years old and have been in continuous use. I am their third owner now which is quiet impressive for a set of powerheads. I honestly would have never bought them myself, I think the original owner invested $600 or so into these pumps for the controllers and everything which is way out of my price budget for power heads. That said, I absolutely love them and can see how people would justify the cost over the long term.

OP
OP
B

Bonvivant25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ludnix,

That is the pair I bought. He offered them on Offerup first. We worked out a deal. I have always been impressed with Tunze. Plus, I'm not a freak for gadgets. Just give me good flow and I am fine.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a IM Lagoon 25, very easy to take care of and still beautiful, watch countless videos on them on Youtube. Skimmers are like diapers no problem when they're your own kids but maybe your wife will not like it.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What state are you in? There is someone selling an IM SR80 closer to the size of the 120 and you could use your Tunze pumps on

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Tunze guy and run 2 6095's, controlable, and 2 6105's non controlable in my 120.
Just about perfect for my mostly acro tank.
Bought the 2 6105's used for a great price.
Cant go wrong with used Tunze products.
I also run a used 9410 skimmer in my frag/lagoon system.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back