Tunze Wavebox 6215

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 180 build I was looking at this Wavebox. If I use this, does that eliminate the need for any additional powerheads?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bart uses one on his 180, and has only one power head to supplement it.

sent from chris using my unsmart phone

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for less price u could get an mp 40 and do the same thing plus a lot more unless u got a killer deal on one but at $570 new mp 40s are $465

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, one mp40 isn't going to be near enough flow for a 180. One mp40 doesn't compare to the amount of movement the wavebox puts off.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, one mp40 isn't going to be near enough flow for a 180. One mp40 doesn't compare to the amount of movement the wavebox puts off.

They both put out pretty much the same amount of flow in GPH There are some who like the WB and us that don't 1 MP40 set in the proper position and mode will give you the same movement as the WB JMO
Bill

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at all the reviews and the impression I was getting was to use either two mp40's or one Wavebox.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the correct track. Research and reviews.

The wave box is quiet and works great. But the MP40 are more flexible because they can do more. Either way it up to you. Don't be swayed by the crowd.

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my wavebox. It takes a little room in the tank, but I prefer that to the external part of the now. I like one small powerhead for circular flow. You should come to Manchester and see the results for yourself.
Bart

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both put out pretty much the same amount of flow in GPH There are some who like the WB and us that don't 1 MP40 set in the proper position and mode will give you the same movement as the WB JMO
Bill

So you are telling me that one mp40 would be enough flow for a 180?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are telling me that one mp40 would be enough flow for a 180?

That's a relative question, Who decides what enough is and all tanks have different needs depending on their contents. I had 1 Tunze 6100 on my 185 for a long time when i first set it up, And before that only had Maxijet 1200's So you tell me??
It's all a matter of what your needs are but both pumps are very close in flow the only difference is application and the MP40 has more options But that's JMO
Bill

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 mp40's in a 300... But I have seen two wave boxes... And both tanks are I credibly successful... (bart being one) but lets all be serious... It's not the power head/ wave box that makes the tank successful... 6 in one... Half dozen In the other... Pick the one that you want... And learn what else it is that bill,Bart and others who have beautiful tanks have to teach ;)

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all of this depends on what you think good flow is, for what you have in your tank. I'm simply going by Bart's sps dominated tank, and that he uses one wavebox and one koralia. I just can't see Bart getting the same results with 1 mp40 in his tank....that's all I'm saying.

And yes, there is a lot more to making a tank successful, but I'm just talking flow at the moment.

And all of you know that I am an ecotech fan, and by no means have anything against mp40's....heck I NEED one so bad it aint funny.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well what happens when an MP40 is set to wave maker mode it does the same thing as the wavebox which makes the water move back and forth so with a wave motion u really dont get all that super high end flow like u would with it turned up full blast like Jay uses but instead u get a gentle swaying back in forth throughout the whole tank .. i wouldnt use s single mp40 in a 180 unless i was using resonant wave imo it wouldnt be enough flow otherwise but the wave motion is a different type of flow.. i actually prefer 2 on oposite sides running reefcrest .. but he asked about the wave box so if u want the wave motion the mp40 willl do it just as good

and yes bart tank looks great and the wavebox works fine it seems guess its more of preference.

Last edited:

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a DIY wavebox a few years ago and it worked pretty good. I like my MP40s a whole lot better though. They can do waves and a lot more. There is one setting that does waves for a while and then switches to high flow to wash out all the detritus that the waves stirred up. The best of both worlds. I really like a lot of flow in my tanks. I regularly have mini "water tornadoes" lifting up sand off the bottom.

mrsaltwatertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the wave box. The mp's are annoying in short pulse mode (to make a wave). If the tank will be an in wall where you couldn't hear them, I might do it.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the info. Think I'll probably do the Wavebox. I have a few powerheads I can supplement with.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back