Turbine Duo 9k issue - this pump is a dog

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
Maxspect team

I have an issue with my new Turbine Duo 9k. I purchased one of these pumps a few months ago. Last night I got around to plumbing one side to my display, and the other to a manifold for a chiller, a couple frag tanks, reactors, etc.

With the pump set to manual mode, on 10 (set to 90% in the settings) I'm getting 250ish GPH with a 3.5ft head to the display tank. The pump that was already in there was RIO 12HF pump rated at 750gph that would give me 550gph.

I disassembled and reassembled and get the same results. Am I missing something, or do I have a defective unit?

Dave

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They advertise over 1000gph at 5ft head, so that certainly sounds disappointing to me- perhaps defective. However, many hobbiests that now have flow meters are noticing that the performance of their DC pumps is very mediocre and below advertised.

OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
I could live with a 20% differential but this is a bit much...

OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m going back and forth with their support rep. It’s a real pain in the butt interfacing with them. I entered my ticket into the maxspect support portal. I received one response by email, and they went dark. I went to portal a couple times, nothing. Reached out on Facebook to them and was told to put a ticket into coralvue. I entered a ticket there and the details from my maxspect ticket was there.

They are basically telling me my current plumbing is insufficient (1” OD pvc with 3/4 ID silicon tubing as a vibration damper). Previously I ran a cheapie rio pump rated at 750 gph and was getting 550 Gph.

So fair warning, the Maxspect 9k duo is a DOG of a pump, and in my opinion their support is substandard.

It looks like I’m going to have to chalk it up as a loss and a lesson learned.

Dave

NotASpammerDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Dog's are loyal, trustworthy, empathetic, hardworking, task-oriented... I don't get this thead's title...

OLDREEFER44

View Badges
Reaction score
Gave up on mine after about 4 months. Just could not get the flow that I wanted or they advertised.

OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
So I was able to resolve the issue with the pump, I ordered a new rio from amazon! I’ll put the old rio back in and will use the new one for the manifold.

Good luck reefing and stay away from the turbine!

OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, they just blamed my plumbing, said that 1”pvc isn’t sufficient for more than I’m getting (275gph) from the pump. srsly they said that.

Do you use Instagram for reefing stuff? What’s your handle?

• Yes I follow people

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes and I post reefing content

• No IG isn’t for me

• What is IG?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors