Turf algae

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blenny will graze on it some. Cool fish, one of my favorites.

Turf is not like hair. I’ve about toppled my rocks trying to pull on it! Scrubbing would only get it temporarily and would grow back. scrubbing and and peroxide was a little better.

Urchins have strong jaws. They actually scrape the rock bare to get the algae, roots and all.
It is coarser for sure. Need the extra cutting power urchins have.

Kcstoker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an urchin before. Any recommendations on which one? Any concerns with corals?

I have a blue tuxedo from Live Aquaria and an ORA Variegated urchin. They mow right through turf. They’re great, but they can’t keep up with whatever my problem is. Highly recommend.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin did remove some Xenia that was climbing the rock work. Other than that all other coral are good. Pencil urchin is what I have. I’m sure other urchins are good too. I would still keep with the pencil though. Tuxedo and others with short spines pick up and carry around things that aren’t glued down!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an urchin before. Any recommendations on which one? Any concerns with corals?

Tuxedo urchins, I have 5 or 6 and they are reef safe, glue your frags down! ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x740).jpg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a variety of turf algae that was like a soft bristle brush. Nothing, I mean nothing would touch it expect aggressive use of Vibrant for many months.

Broke2Broke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update after 12 days in of using Reef Flux. At first I didn't think it was doing anything, but after about a week I noticed some change in turf. Seems to be getting lighter in color in some spots and thinning out in others. The smaller spots that didn't have much are completely gone. I may try to pull some out, but they are a little hard to get to plus I try to keep my hands out if at all possible. All corals/fish seem to be fine. 60 gal tank with sump, I used about 7 pills which treats 70 gals. Still have another week or so before they recommend a water change. I may do another dose after the 3 weeks are up depending on how it looks just to make sure its completely gone. But so far so good.

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Few weeks post getting algae blenny. And not touching any of the thick patches. Next step is a urchin. Keep you all updated. Things in yank still happy and no issues. Adding corals and all are happy. Have a good weekend.

Broke2Broke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 week mark from Reef Flux. Turf is completely gone. Water parameters have stayed the same throughout. I need to do a water change and add some macro algae back. But worked in my case.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull as much out as you can. Keep doing this for as long as it takes. Get a few pincushion or pencil urchins - I like to use ReefTopia and their stuff is super hardy and ships well. You can pick them up and place them on the algae if you need to. Get one for ever 2 gallons or so... you might need a few.

If you a algaecide like Vibrant (it is algaecide even though they lie about it), AlgaeFix, ReeFlux, etc. it can do damage to some of the other things in your tank and some of your other cleaners might die.

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I did carbon dosing with smirnoff vodka and it got rid of all my turf algae. Best $1.69 I ever spent

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back