Turf Algae?

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Messages
52
Reaction score
16
Location
Richmond, Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have had this algae in my reef for a few months now. I believe it’s mostly turf algae though some appears to be stringy like hair algae. It’s very difficult to remove from the rocks like turf algae.

I have been treating with microbacter clean daily for probably about 8 weeks now but so far no dice. I’ve used it before for simile looking algae with success.

I have good export with a good skimmer, large Refugium that grows chaeto incredibly quickly, and replace filter socks every 3 days. Also running carbon and small amounts of GFO on and off. Nutrients come out low, i.e nitrates around 1-2 and phosphates 0.03, but obviously the algae has bound some of that up.

I’m wondering where to go for treatment? My urchin eats it but so slowly he hasn’t really made a dent and other clean up crew and my one spot foxface rarely touches it. I don’t want to use chemicals like vibrant because I have had some acros stn in the past. Attached are photos of both the coarser algae and the stringier algae.

Thanks!
Josh

B545B7FF-BE23-48D1-8594-00B07BA9AEEF.jpeg 663B9028-ED11-460E-B1AA-F0C00E7D2B96.jpeg 1419E570-6E11-478D-956D-EE42224154CF.jpeg
 
How many snails and crabs do you have?
 
I would say probably 15 hermit crabs and 20 snails. Something like 5 trochus, 5 turbo, and the rest astrea. The aquarium is roughly 75 gallons so probably could use a few more of each. Potentially considering fuzzy chitons but somewhat hard to find.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new