Turn over rate can flow rate

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that you want a turnover rate of 10x all over the place. Is that through your main filter or all together in your tank ( filter, power heads , etc)? For example, in a 50 gallon tank do you want 500 gph running through the filter or do you want less than that? Do you want say 5x and get 250gph moving through filter and the rest made up with wave maker, etc? I am going to be redoing my filtration on a 29 nano I have and am unsure what filter to buy so I just want to try and get this right. My current filter is at 10x gph.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you better define "filter"? Is that a sump that you are referring to? Generally, 10X is plenty for a sump. Even less is fine. Flow total, depending on what you plan on keeping is what you have to figure. SPS dominant tanks like as much flow as you can reasonably throw at it, within reason. An LPS or Softie tank will require less flow.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run without sump on 29 gallon tank. Currently using a hob that pushes 300 gph and two power heads that push an additional 600 gph. I am not a fan of my currently hob filter and am getting another one. I am between a filter that moves 225 gph through the filter (sponges, media, etc) or one that has 445 gph though (sponges, media, etc,) my tank has 4 fish and is for soft corals and lps only. Just trying to figure it which filter I should go with as my current one is crapping out on me.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For soft corals and LPS, you should aim for 20-30x. Because you don't have a sump, just add up all the water movers (power heads/HOB/etc) and divide by the gallons of your tank (29) to get total flow (turnover). You should be shooting for somewhere between 580 and 870 gph total. It is also pretty safe to assume that the actual flow generated by any device is somewhat less than the manufacturer says it is. You also need to take into consideration the type of flow generated. The more random it is the happier your system will be. If there are any areas of little to no flow, detritus will accumulate and end up causing troubles. A great way to see the randomness of the flow is to use a very fine food dissolved in some tank water. Watch as you put it in the tank to see where it all goes. If it seems to just fly off everywhere - you've got it about right!

Although not the same situation, here's how my DT is set up. It's a SPS dominant mixed reef 120 with a 40 sump. I use a eheim 1262 as the return. I do not even use it when figuring flow. I count powerheads only. I use 2 x gyre 250's , 2 x koralia 1500gph, and a koralia 850gph. I figure that my total turnover from them is between 60-80x depending where if the cycle the gyres are.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So going by what you say I should probably go with 3163 that list 475 gph. I know it is directional but I am also looking at getting a current wave pump because I can hook it up to my phone app like my lights are. Plus the wave pump is adjustable so I can fine tune it.
Would the 475 gph filter be the way to go? I am trying to get this figured out so I can order this morning. Thanks for your assistance.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add the wave maker I am looking at adjusts from 420-2100gph. The other option is one that is 210-1050gph.

thought I had this figured out last year when I set up my tank but with my filter crapping out on me I am trying to decide which way to go with the new equipment.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Billdogg said above, you want 20-30 times your tank volume in total water movement. That comes from the basic guidelines of softies needing 20-ish times, most LPS happy with 30x and SPS upwards of 40 times.

30 times 29gal = 870 total movement. But, you lose some of this in smaller tanks if you put all your flow in one powerhead, because too much of your flow ends up smashing on the glass and disperses, so people will use two smaller powerheads at either end.

All of this sort of depends on the rockwork, but in your case, I'd take the slower HOB filter at ~275gal, and add two powerheads in the 400gph range pointed along the long axis of the tank.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your suggestion would be to go with 225 filter (it is in the tank filter by tunze) then make up the more flow what the heck the wave pump,correct? I figure my tank is 29 gallons has sand, rock work, and now will have an in tank filter, the total amount of water will be less than 29 gallons for sure.
Here is pic of tank.

D6EA7A70-7E78-4694-8072-F50316FDD386.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go by the stated volume of the tank rather than try to guess what it actually is when it comes to flow. It is obviously more important when medicating, but that should be done in a separate (hospital/QT) tank anyway.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I will go stated volume of the tank. Should I go with the 225gph filter or the 475gph?

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a HOB type filter, go big. You can even double up and put two if there is room. You then have built-in redundancy. We all have to remember to differentiate turnover, that which is being handled by the HOB and flow, which will be handled by powerheads for a tank with a HOB. In your case, you will likely want/need more turnover and less internal flow/water movement within the tank. If you add SPS's you can increase flow within the tank as needed and can be easily accomplished with variable speed powerheads. Just my opinion.

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a HOB type filter, go big. You can even double up and put two if there is room. You then have built-in redundancy. We all have to remember to differentiate turnover, that which is being handled by the HOB and flow, which will be handled by powerheads for a tank with a HOB. In your case, you will likely want/need more turnover and less internal flow/water movement within the tank. If you add SPS's you can increase flow within the tank as needed and can be easily accomplished with variable speed powerheads. Just my opinion.
Reviving the thread with a question : I bought the jebao ow-10 for my 5 gallon tank (probably 4 gallon after displacement of rock, sand and filtration) and the manufacturer says 132gph at the lowest setting. I only have softies and lps. My turnover would be close to 30. Is that too much?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving the thread with a question : I bought the jebao ow-10 for my 5 gallon tank (probably 4 gallon after displacement of rock, sand and filtration) and the manufacturer says 132gph at the lowest setting. I only have softies and lps. My turnover would be close to 30. Is that too much?

No, I would just ensure the coral is not getting directly blasted with flow

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back