Turn Reefing into a Business?

Have you ever started a reefing business?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started a business to sell coral frags, photos, and retail goods locally at frag swaps in my area. Have you ever opened a reefing business? What went well or bad for you?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best decisions I made back in the 90's thinkingn holisticaly about reef systems including the bacterial stuff even though there was no way to quantify what was happening. Accepting there was a lot of unknowns doing water changes to reduce whatever was going on seemed a good idea then and knowing what I know now it's the main reason I still ahve animals I started with.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Still asking questions about fragging mushroom, not so much into turning it into a business.
I'm finding it really hard to get real help, there is no courses or even paying someone to show me 'how to' just to frag, cut a mushroom,

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Still asking questions about fragging mushroom, not so much into turning it into a business.
I'm finding it really hard to get real help, there is no courses or even paying someone to show me 'how to' just to frag, cut a mushroom,

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be tough if it was your only source of income.

Quick math: To profit 50k a year, if you are netting 20 cents on the dollar, your gross sales would have to be 250K a year. This ball parks to selling about 100 corals a week at $50 each. That's over 5,000 frags a year. It seems like production would be a huge challenge.

As a side hustle I think you could at least break even and have fun doing it.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be tough if it was your only source of income.

Quick math: To profit 50k a year, if you are netting 20 cents on the dollar, your gross sales would have to be 250K a year. This ball parks to selling about 100 corals a week at $50 each. That's over 5,000 frags a year. It seems like production would be a huge challenge.

As a side hustle I think you could at least break even and have fun doing it.
It's a side business for me. To share the hobby, and hang out with the people in the industry at frag shows, etc.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged a few shrooms. I cut them right in half, a piece of the mouth on each. I did not do quarters. Both halves made it. Ricordia shrooms.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged a few shrooms. I cut them right in half, a piece of the mouth on each. I did not do quarters. Both halves made it. Ricordia shrooms.
Ok great, you grabbed a mushroom on a frag, you cut it in half and now you have 2! Then what! You have two mushroom in your hands from one frag?

My point exactly!

where's the preparation before? and the tools equipment needed before/ during / after?

There's no fragging school so from your advise only ... That's easy?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, you grabbed a mushroom on a frag, you cut it in half and now you have 2! Then what! You have two mushroom in your hands from one frag?

My point exactly!

where's the preparation before? and the tools equipment needed before/ during / after?

There's no fragging school so from your advise only ... That's easy?
Cut them with your favorite razor knife or scalpel. Cut in one stroke, cleanly. Put them in a mushroom basket with sand or rubble at the bottom. Wait until they heal and attach. It is really that simple.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's your business model right there, reefing school. Like those painting classes.
Have a bunch of cheap corals, customers pay to be taught, you teach them and help them along and they leave with a frag. Boom. Profit.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back