Turn your brown corals into GOLD! Unique Corals' latest contest is ON!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, Happy Friday!

I looked back at this forum not long ago and realized that it’s been months since we had our last contest...Wow!

That just won't do... And since we’re always trying to create a fun environment for everyone on our forum, it’s time for another one!

Let’s see...maybe we can make this one a little more fun. We’re always having naming contests, seeing who has the best this or that...Maybe it’s time to shake it up a bit.

We often see gorgeous corals and get all goofy about them, right?

So...let’s do the opposite this time! We’d like to see who has the UGLIEST coral around! That’s right, let’s see that “golden” Acropora, the “Rainbow” Efflo that isn’t, the “earth-toned” Fungia, the Chalice that looks more like a paper cup, the torch that looks more like a match flame...you get the idea.

_DSC7864-UC.jpg

Ok, you may think it's nice, but...IT'S UGLY!

Some qualifications, of course:

We’re not talking about who can take the worst photo...I’d win that hands down!

We want to see an ugly CORAL! And we aren’t going to judge on just the pic alone..We need to hear a bit of the story behind it! Often times the stories are even more funny than the coral! Besides, it’s a prize package worth over $100.00, so you’re gonna have to WORK for it a bit, LOL.

We also don’t want to see sick and dying corals. We want to see the most mundane, the most...boring, the most dull example of a HEALTHY coral. You know the one...That coral that, for whatever reason is just thriving in your reef...but it’s just friggin’ UGLY!!!

We all have that one...Some of us have more than one! That brown “Blue Tort” that just never colored up...Or, “how can that Nepthia be so darned GREY?” The one that, despite its ugliness, you just can’t bare to take out.

Right? Yup. You finally can get some good out of having something bad!

What will you be playing for? Well, how about some things of beauty?

I mean, if you win this contest, you DESERVE it! We’ll give the lucky winner a couple of my very favorite frags: The insanely neon UC Green Acropora chesterfieldensis, and the the uber cool “UC Raging Waters” Chalice!

UC1inch-chesterfieldensis-38-inventory-6.jpg

So bright you'll need shades! The UC Acropora chesterfieldensis

raging-waters-new.jpg

"Raging Waters" has raging color!

Seriously hot corals to make up for your seriously ugly one!

**Okay, some final tips/requests...Again, I’m the worst photographer in the world, so I get it...I can’t get a pic in focus if my life depended on it. However, since we’re trying to judge your ugly coral on its own merit, please do your best to get accurate focus and color. (LOL, I can just see a reefer doing a “reverse saturation” Photoshop edit to bring down the color...Arrghh REEFERS!)

Remember, we want more than just a pic and a one line description. We need a bit of background. You just can’t get by on your ugly looks alone, LOL!

Also, we want to end this contest on SUNDAY NIGHT by midnight PDT, so please make sure that all of your entries are in by then. We will announce the winner and be shipping the winner his/her prizes on MONDAY!

SO there you have it...bring on the ugliness!

Have fun! We know that we will judging this one!

Remember, it’s not “brown”, it’s “golden” (at least, that’s what we say...)!

Thanks for playing!

Scott Fellman, Joseph Caparatta
And the UC Crew

Last edited:

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is my browny submission. I got this guy from a local reefer. It was white and brown and I though to myself, maybe I did him a favor by taking this turd. A couple of months have passed and still not colored up into anything besides the green tips but I'm running a dirty system for mostly chalices so I am not hopeful and it's been growing steadily.

Thanks for the contest, that chalice is beautiful.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1380918391.060055.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is my browny submission. I got this guy from a local reefer. It was white and brown and I though to myself, maybe I did him a favor by taking this turd. A couple of months have passed and still not colored up into anything besides the green tips but I'm running a dirty system for mostly chalices so I am not hopeful and it's been growing steadily.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1380918391.060055.jpg

Ohh...that's a strong contender...Luxurious growth, but a true underachiever...off to a good start!

Scott

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC06808.jpg
here is my "beautiful" ugly yellow highlighter acro :) i still love him had it for about 7months now. grew a few branches now. might frag it to see if it will do allot better in another tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC06808.jpg here is my "beautiful" ugly yellow highlighter acro :) i still love him had it for about 7months now. grew a few branches now. might frag it to see if it will do allot better in another tank

Wow, another solid contender you've got there! I love to hear ugly coral growth stories!:squigglemouth:

-Scott

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Hydnophora is the ugliest thing in my tank. I despise it at this point but I keep it just because it refuses to grow in my tank. I've had it probably 3-4 years and it's the same size! I have acros in the same tank that are growing like weeds but this thing refuses to grow an inch!

I sold the small frag in this pic to a friend and kept the larger. His frag grew so fast in his tank that it was almost touching the top of the water in less than a year. My frag that I kept is the exact same size!

IMG_0363.jpg

This is the small frag that grew to a large colony in my friends tank in a matter of months.
p1040217.jpg

It's been a few years now and mine is the same size as it was in the first pic! It's an ugly little frag and won't grow but I keep it because I'm determined to make it grow. :D

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Hydnophora is the ugliest thing in my tank. I despise it at this point but I keep it just because it refuses to grow in my tank. I've had it probably 3-4 years and it's the same size! I have acros in the same tank that are growing like weeds but this thing refuses to grow an inch!

I sold the small frag in this pic to a friend and kept the larger. His frag grew so fast in his tank that it was almost touching the top of the water in less than a year. My frag that I kept is the exact same size!

IMG_0363.jpg

This is the small frag that grew to a large colony in my friends tank in a matter of months.
p1040217.jpg

It's been a few years now and mine is the same size as it was in the first pic! It's an ugly little frag and won't grow but I keep it because I'm determined to make it grow. :D

Solid entries...two ugly corals in one tank is a blessing, right? :cry:

-Scott

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dyeing season greetings monti grew like a champ for 3 months and now the only they that's growing is the algea on it as far as what happened idk guess I looked at it wrong one day!

Attachments

• 20131004_175316.jpg
    20131004_175316.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,018

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the LPS sold by my local LF S looking for sale Large polyp stony which used to be so colorful. It'll just color right up. sarcasm. Well hopefully it will one day but I don't have my hopes up maybe it'll turn out positive through this Great contest. PS I love the idea

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dyeing season greetings monti grew like a champ for 3 months and now the only they that's growing is the algea on it as far as what happened idk guess I looked at it wrong one day!

Hmm...not sure if it qualifies as "healthy", but I'm loving the lushness of the algae growth! :pound:

-Scott

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this 8 months ago from my lfs.Grab it when it was still in the bag.Love the growth partern and was hoping it will color up.Guess not

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this 8 months ago from my lfs.Grab it when it was still in the bag.Love the growth partern and was hoping it will color up.Guess not

Actually, in some quarters, that's an "LE" specimen...LOL

-Scott

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year I took on a friends tank that was some what neglected, due to personal reasons, but he just gave it to me! Some awesome corals and some, well.... GOLD CORALS! LOL

Full of asterina stars along with rock infested by aiptasia. I slowly dipped everything and moved it, except this devils finger leather. I left it in that tank while water evaporated out and no heater or water movement was present. Well over a month later I moved it into my display. I admit to neglect of this coral, but since it pulled through I kept it and it developed from a bleach white to the ugly stepchild in my reef :)

Here it is in all the glory of that a champion presents proceeding a victory!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380939887.926647.jpg

franklypre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a wild piece I got from a buddy, had perfect shape and grew fairly fast. But always seemed to stay brown, eventually I fragged it up and to this day it continues to be mostly brown with green highlights. The other day I noticed some nice green tips on a few branches of one of the frags in my main tank. Hopefully this will become a nice candlestick(ish) acro, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been growing it out for at least 3 years and this is the first sign of a decent color.

RiverRat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a few pieces of SPS from a fellow reefer. They were my first SPS corals, so I was very excited. One of the pieces was a beautiful purple, another piece was a stunning green. The third piece will always hold a special place in my heart, for it has a face only a parent could love. I believe is a branching montipora and here is a picture of its natural beauty under white lights.
100_2024.jpg

saltjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this price at the LFS a few months back. When I got it was more of a lighter tan with a pretty cool looking shade of green. Since I have had it in my tank it has it has darkened a bit onxe it started growing it grew a couple of branches with purple tips but the more it grows the more the brown takes over. Its growing pretty fast now. Just the browns winning on it when all other corals color is getting brighter.
IMG_20131003_030410_036.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back