Turn your brown corals into GOLD! Unique Corals' latest contest is ON!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gillman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this piece off of your site. It came in yesterday and looks absolutely nothing like the picture Dan Riggle abrotanoides. Therefor it's my brown coral entry!

IMAG0403.jpg

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abros are notorious for browning out and I am sure shipping didn't help. Give it some time it should color up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

slate744

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"pink birdnest"

This is a pic of my first sps. Its supposed to be a pink birdsnest and it was when i got it but now its brown. It has been growing great just has no color.
2013-10-05 14.49.00-1.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this piece off of your site. It came in yesterday and looks absolutely nothing like the picture Dan Riggle abrotanoides. Therefor it's my brown coral entry!

IMAG0403.jpg

That's not a good thing..However, Abrotanoides are not the best shippers...For some reason, they arrive brown and take a while to color back up after their journey. Being a frag, this will definitely have a much better chance of coloring back up. Obviously, we will stand behind what we sell, and the fact of the matter is- at the moment, you have a strong contender here for the prize, LOL!

Keep me posted on this coral, please!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pic of my first sps. Its supposed to be a pink birdsnest and it was when i got it but now its brown. It has been growing great just has no color. 2013-10-05 14.49.00-1.jpg

Strong, strong! "Golden Birdsnest" is always a fave!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a wild piece I got from a buddy, had perfect shape and grew fairly fast. But always seemed to stay brown, eventually I fragged it up and to this day it continues to be mostly brown with green highlights. The other day I noticed some nice green tips on a few branches of one of the frags in my main tank. Hopefully this will become a nice candlestick(ish) acro, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been growing it out for at least 3 years and this is the first sign of a decent color.

Epic!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year I took on a friends tank that was some what neglected, due to personal reasons, but he just gave it to me! Some awesome corals and some, well.... GOLD CORALS! LOL

Full of asterina stars along with rock infested by aiptasia. I slowly dipped everything and moved it, except this devils finger leather. I left it in that tank while water evaporated out and no heater or water movement was present. Well over a month later I moved it into my display. I admit to neglect of this coral, but since it pulled through I kept it and it developed from a bleach white to the ugly stepchild in my reef :)

Here it is in all the glory of that a champion presents proceeding a victory!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380939887.926647.jpg

That is a solid, solid entry..A prime contender!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a few pieces of SPS from a fellow reefer. They were my first SPS corals, so I was very excited. One of the pieces was a beautiful purple, another piece was a stunning green. The third piece will always hold a special place in my heart, for it has a face only a parent could love. I believe is a branching montipora and here is a picture of its natural beauty under white lights.
100_2024.jpg

So ugly that it's beautiful!

-Scott

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my beautiful brown Hollywood Stunner frag! It was hard to choose..I have had lots of brownies!
DSC_0146.jpg

Last edited:

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a4ysy4en.jpg

My lovely brown acro. Supposedly it's a blue/purple acro, only time will tell. Got it for free a few weeks ago and is already becoming less brown.

CLR48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my beautiful baby. Lol I bought it off ebay. And it looked like this on eBay.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1381017123.474218.jpg

(Not exact picture but closest to the color that "it was" on eBay)
And here's what it has looked like since I recieved it about 6 months ago.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1381017202.182042.jpg

It's in the top left. And hasn't changed color at all.
Needless to say that was he last time I bought something from that seller...

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beautiful brownie.

Here's my brown gold. I saw this on eBay and it looked like it had a hint of purple and seemed real nice. I was fairly new with corals and it was a great price with nice color (so I thought). I never thought with a name like Poo-Poo Paly that it would actually look like....well, poo. Lucky for me it looks better then most my other zoas and palys :tongue: It would be horrible if my Rastas looked this nice.

image.jpg

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dejetane.jpg

Here's my "orange" hammer...I was at my LFS, this thing indeed looked pretty orange..I figured maybe it would look better under some cooler lighting, so I asked the shop owner to hold it for me until I could pick it up...no big deal, I do that semi-regularly with him. I come back probably more than two weeks later to FINALLY pick it up, and this is what it looks like. I just couldn't bring myself to say never mind when I had made him wait for so long..so I ended up with this lol.

Too long, didn't read: took too long to pick up coral I had held. Too nice to complain.

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my beautiful brown Hollywood Stunner Monti frag! It was hard to choose..I have lots of brownies!
DSC_0146.jpg

Psst..hey..psst..its a chalice, not a monti..lol

And hey! Its almost as ugly as mine! Lol

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my ugly Acro. It came to me as a nice lime green Acro. I had an alk spike and it almost died. I fragged it to save what was not rtn'd. This is whats left after six months. Notice the polyp extension> I has grown plenty of small branches that never seem to go anywhere but refuses to either die or color back up to being green.

ugly acro by rworegon, on Flickr

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like for you to meet "Mr. Invincible". I have had this staghorn for almost two years. It was my first test SPS. I bought him from Liveaquaria for 29.99 in hopes that he would color up into something beautiful. This guys has been through so much but has never broken. He has been in high salinity to very unstable conditions. He has been under very low lighting to high powered LEDs. He has been through a lot. He hasn't grown much but he has started to show a very slight green coloration on the base. To be honest, I don't know why I have kept him this long. And here he is:

10109868123_535bf866d2_c.jpg

Here he is in an August 2013 FTS (Bottom Left):

9737308741_857dc57bd2_z.jpg

Here he is in the tank I started with almost two years ago(center, rear, piece sticking over the top):
8733076424_34a9c260d7_z.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back