Turning off skimmer while feeding

Sdoutreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
453
Location
Idaho
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but how crucial is it to turn off your skimmer when feeding filter feeder foods (oyster feast, phyto feast, etc.)?
 
What kind of set up do you have? Hang on back skimmer? Or sump style skimmer? I personally don't turn off skimmer when feeding. But maybe if you had a hob skimmer.
 
I always turn my return pumps off while feeding to keep all the food in the tank and try to reduce waste (going in the filter sock, getting picked up by the skimmer). If you can't turn off your return pump I would at least turn the skimmer off, otherwise you are just throwing food out.
 
I don't turn anything off myself. :)
 
I always turn my return pumps off while feeding to keep all the food in the tank and try to reduce waste (going in the filter sock, getting picked up by the skimmer). If you can't turn off your return pump I would at least turn the skimmer off, otherwise you are just throwing food out.

But keep power heads going? I turn pumps off when I feed fish but never when I feed oyster feast or phyto feast..
 
I only turn off skimmer(well sometimes).
 
I shut off pump, skimmer, and powerhead for 20 mins after spot feeding and then turn it all back on. I have a seperate power strip with only those plugged into it for feeding coral and water changes. I never turn anything off feeding fish. They're supposed to catch live food in the wild, they can catch a frozen floating mysis as far as I'm concerned
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new