Turnover rate for AIO tank

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just gotten a new tank 35" x 19" x 13", what is the ideal turnover rate for it to go thru 2 filter socks & media? I design the backsump exactly like waterbox aio 50.3.
Is it sufficient if I just aim a 10x turnover rate based on the tank size, should be 157Litre x10 ?
Or i should aim higher?

The tank mainly is for softies, and some easy sps such as monti plate & digitata.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just gotten a new tank 35" x 19" x 13", what is the ideal turnover rate for it to go thru 2 filter socks & media? I design the backsump exactly like waterbox aio 50.3.
Is it sufficient if I just aim a 10x turnover rate based on the tank size, should be 157Litre x10 ?
Or i should aim higher?

The tank mainly is for softies, and some easy sps such as monti plate & digitata.
Are you having powerheads? If you are the turnover is not really important, enough to keep the temp stable, a little more if you want more filtration through the socks. 10x is loads.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having powerheads? If you are the turnover is not really important, enough to keep the temp stable, a little more if you want more filtration through the socks. 10x is loads.
Yes, I would have 2 wavemaker inside this tank.
I would also state that in future down the road I may invest chiller as well.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would have 2 wavemaker inside this tank.
I would also state that in future down the road I may invest chiller as well.
I have mine on the lowest setting, maybe 3x, keeps the pump quiet, I also have powerheads.

Remember your overflow will limit the return flow too, another reason to keep the flow down in a aio is if a snail, fish etc sits in front of the overflow (and they do) that will reduce the flow quite a bit, this will trigger your ato if you have one.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on the lowest setting, maybe 3x, keeps the pump quiet, I also have powerheads.

Remember your overflow will limit the return flow too, another reason to keep the flow down in a aio is if a snail, fish etc sits in front of the overflow (and they do) that will reduce the flow quite a bit, this will trigger your ato if you have one.
I see.
May i know which model you are using now?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.
May i know which model you are using now?
Return? Jebao 1200…if you want a quiet pump I strongly recommend you get a DC pump, you could risk a non DC pump, I tried 3 and even the sicce which is advertised as silent was extremely noisy in my aio, tried the DC and that is all but silent on the lowest setting.

fazilosman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Or i should aim higher?

I run a small 10g IM Fusion2 nano (in my office) and used the included MightyJet 266 gph for over 2 years. The major issue for me was that the pump was loud and actually the flow was kinda weak, as detritus (snail poop) just accumulated on the bare bottom. A few months ago, I got sick of listening to the pump rattle and just decided to upgrade the pump to the Sicce Syncra 1.5 (357 gph), which was a super tight squeeze in the return chamber. Boy was that an upgrade! I had to dial down the Sicce inlet to slow down the flow. Amazingly, now anything that is floating in the water column is eventually making its way to the overflow within a few minutes. I know it's an overkill but really like how it pulls detritus into the filter media quickly, allowing me to change ever 3 days or so.

I also run a Jabeo MCP-70 vertically in the display, installed with the flow running perpendicular to each other. This moves all detritus from under the rock and keeps things suspended. The MCP-70 only runs at 40% power and on a very random schedule. So, yes I have overkilled on flow but things are looking good and corals are extending OK.
PXL_20231101_163455726.MP.jpg

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, I'm wondering if a 520gph pump is sufficient or not. Since the tank is long. Of course I'm taking in as well with the 2 wavemaker that I got.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, I'm wondering if a 520gph pump is sufficient or not. Since the tank is long. Of course I'm taking in as well with the 2 wavemaker that I got.
Should be fine but check if thats the max output, you don’t really want the pump on full power, always best to use powerheads, return etc on lower power, best for noise and longevity.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine but check if thats the max output, you don’t really want the pump on full power, always best to use powerheads, return etc on lower power, best for noise and longevity.
yup, i believe so that's the max output. I'm getting the Jebao/Jecod series from China:

Watts: 20W
Output Voltage: DC 24V
Input Voltage: 100-240V 50/60HZ
Water Outlet external
Diameter: 15MM
Water Inlet internal Diameter: 25MM
Max lift head: 2.2 M
Flow Rate: 2000 LPH
Wire Length: 1.5 M
Pump size: 100x65x95mm
IP Rating: IPX8

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon that is 36x24x12h. My flow rate through my returns is about 270gph. Like 5 or 6 times per hour. The only time I turn the pump up higher is when I want to pick up any crap out of the tank for a short while.
You'd be fine with the same turnover.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back