OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, the cyphastrea is glued to the skull!!!

20180301_153026.jpg
20180301_153039.jpg

And I glued my fingers... someone else does this right? I'm not the only one who tries to glue my fingers together every time I get the super glue out?

20180301_153014.jpg

I left the frag plug intact, and glued the edge of it to the skull in the opening in the back. There is still plenty of room for Maui to come and go, because he spent all last night and today in there... evidently it's his new favorite spot. The plan is to let it start encrusting onto the skull a good way, then break the frag plug off the skull and place it elsewhere. That way we have a nice smooth encrusted skull. It'll be interesting to see if the little carved skulls will be visible once it's covered.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they had underwater glue gun. We would have better looking fingers. Every time I glue frags in my tank, I'd walk around with all these glue on my fingers for days.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge proponent of rubber gloves when gluing frags haha

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the mollies doing

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one molly in the tank with Maui is fine. It swims all around pecking at algae all day. The ones in the QT tank are down to 3. One of the males died. The prettier of the two and the two females are still looking good. One of the females may be pregnant... looks kinda swollen. I threw the sapphire damsel in with the 3 mollies in the QT tank. It completely ignores them. Something about wrasse just ticks that damsel off.

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the skull idea and plan to do the same. I was thinking WWC Pink Flyod chalice or JF burning bananas. Where did you get the skull?

Sorry about the mollie.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the skull idea and plan to do the same. I was thinking WWC Pink Flyod chalice or JF burning bananas. Where did you get the skull?

Sorry about the mollie.

It was a cheap acrylic fresh water aquarium decoration in a store called Pet Supermarket in NE Columbia. I'm not sure if they are a chain or a local Petco/Petsmart wanna be. Check around the chain stores, they should have some kind of freshwater decorations there. Skulls tend to be pretty popular.

I had also thought about encrusting an Easter island head, but thought the skull was more appropriate for a menacing eel, and the Easter island heads tend to be solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...

I dosed prazipro on Sunday. It doesn't hurt and I thought maybe some parasite might be bothering Maui. I'll add the chemipure back to the media basket this coming Sunday. No, he still hasn't eaten, but he continues to look good, and he's active. As active as an eel gets that is. He moves from the rocks, to the skull and back several times a day.

20180307_205957.jpg

The corals look good. Water seems stable with kalk in the ATO.

20180307_205324.jpg
20180307_205334.jpg
20180307_205341.jpg
20180307_205352.jpg

Alk started at 8.0 then dropped to 7.4 the following day. It has been on a slow climb over the last few days. I'll adjust the kalk solution lower soon, it's almost back up to 8.0 dKH.

Screenshot_20180307-214540.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Maui does not like black mollies.
Get some other colours too!!!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Maui does not like black mollies.
Get some other colours too!!!
Pretty soon all the mollies are going in this tank. I'd like to shut down the QT tank and reclaim some counter space in my kitchen. I have a few babies in there that I might keep going for a little while, but I don't really see keeping them to raise if Maui won't eat them. I tried a small piece of raw shrimp the other night while I was making tacos... very little interest, and I even left it in the skull with him. I found the shrimp eating it a while later. Cannibal coral shrimp eating shrimp...

I'm not sure what to do to get him eating again... I've tried squid(previously his favorite food), shrimp, scallop, cod filet... It's going on 3 months without him accepting food and I fear the worst is around the corner. :(

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about Maui.
How does he look so far? I am not an eel expert and not a supporter of it, but maybe live food is a last option to try... such as a small live shrimp?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could try finding live ghost shrimp... I doubt I'd be able to find any around here. I'm not even sure he'd go for them. He hasn't touched the mollie. He's really apathetic towards any frozen food. When I try and feed he'll pick his head up, but does nothing else.

I have no clue what happened, he used to be such a good eater. So good, he was eating the day after I got him.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back