Tuxedo stole my frag

wasabi bean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a small zoa frag but buried the plug in the sand so i thought it would be safe but my urchin managed to steal it, can i remove it or is it fine to let it stay. I know that sometimes urchins can hide so the zoa wouldn’t get any light. What are your guys thoughts??
IMG_2273.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a small zoa frag but buried the plug in the sand so i thought it would be safe but my urchin managed to steal it, can i remove it or is it fine to let it stay. I know that sometimes urchins can hide so the zoa wouldn’t get any light. What are your guys thoughts??
IMG_2273.jpeg
I would take it off, because if you want that zoa to be healthy and grow, it most likely wont happen because the urchin will constantly be moving around the tank so there will be different lighting and flow.

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag is eventually going to fall off somewhere, and if it's somewhere unfavorable or out of reach, you may lose it. The frag is okay on top of the urchin as long as it's somewhere favorable for the coral to grow, I'd just be worried about what happens when the urchin goes into the rocks or decides to drop the frag face down behind the rockwork lol

I'd remove it from the urchin while it's still easy and glue the plug down to a rock somewhere.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2273.jpeg
I would also remove it. One of mine stole a hermit poor guy was upside down for a few days before I managed to get him off lol. Urchins crack me up

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thieves. It's amazing what they can pickup and carry around.

OP
OP
wasabi bean

wasabi bean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take it off, because if you want that zoa to be healthy and grow, it most likely wont happen because the urchin will constantly be moving around the tank so there will be different lighting and flow.
Thanks for the thoughts, any idea how to get it to let go? Do i just pull at it lightly until it releases it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2273.jpeg
Ive seen my urchins hoisting round small pieces of rock round my tank.
But I do like having a “collection” of them as they’re so fun to watch.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been going on for a month or more. the Zoas seem to be very happy and growing! In fact some have fallen off into different parts of the tank. Personally this is my "anything goes" softy tank, because in reality you can't really control softy's. So it doesn’t bother me. If your tank is more curated, it may be an issue.
IMG_1835.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The reason i favor pencil urchins. Tuxedo - Great workers but drags everything around.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back