Tuxedo Urchin eating shrimp molt?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2020
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
2,009
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my Tuxedo urchin munching on a peppermint shrimp molt this morning. On one hand, great, the darn molt isn't going through the powerhead for once. But thinking he must be extra hungry I tried to give him a piece of nori. He's now wearing the nori as a hat and back to munching on the molt. This is the first time I've seen him eat something like this. Strange behavior for a tuxedo?
 
Saw my Tuxedo urchin munching on a peppermint shrimp molt this morning. On one hand, great, the darn molt isn't going through the powerhead for once. But thinking he must be extra hungry I tried to give him a piece of nori. He's now wearing the nori as a hat and back to munching on the molt. This is the first time I've seen him eat something like this. Strange behavior for a tuxedo?
My tux does the same. Extra nourishment. I rubber band my nori to a small chunk of liverock as an urchin treat.
 
Urchins can munch on protein snacks from time to time! Emily (my black longspine) will steal all the nori we put in for the OST
 
Last edited:
I have a pink urchin (according to the LFS) -- looks like a pink(ish) pincushion to me.

He only liked coralline and only on my live rock for awhile.
Finally, he'll now eat nori too.

The other day he stole a krill off my chocolate chip starfish when they both ended up near the top of the water line at the same time (which is rare).
Chewed on it for a LONG time (hours) which was surprising to me, although the amount he actually ate was pretty minimal.

I didn't really expect them to go after meat but, I guess, pretty much anything and everything is fair game.

EDIT -- just saw the "little roomba" comment a couple posts up -- that's funny (and apropos)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new