Tuxedo Urchin eating shrimp molt?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my Tuxedo urchin munching on a peppermint shrimp molt this morning. On one hand, great, the darn molt isn't going through the powerhead for once. But thinking he must be extra hungry I tried to give him a piece of nori. He's now wearing the nori as a hat and back to munching on the molt. This is the first time I've seen him eat something like this. Strange behavior for a tuxedo?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my Tuxedo urchin munching on a peppermint shrimp molt this morning. On one hand, great, the darn molt isn't going through the powerhead for once. But thinking he must be extra hungry I tried to give him a piece of nori. He's now wearing the nori as a hat and back to munching on the molt. This is the first time I've seen him eat something like this. Strange behavior for a tuxedo?
My tux does the same. Extra nourishment. I rubber band my nori to a small chunk of liverock as an urchin treat.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink urchin (according to the LFS) -- looks like a pink(ish) pincushion to me.

He only liked coralline and only on my live rock for awhile.
Finally, he'll now eat nori too.

The other day he stole a krill off my chocolate chip starfish when they both ended up near the top of the water line at the same time (which is rare).
Chewed on it for a LONG time (hours) which was surprising to me, although the amount he actually ate was pretty minimal.

I didn't really expect them to go after meat but, I guess, pretty much anything and everything is fair game.

EDIT -- just saw the "little roomba" comment a couple posts up -- that's funny (and apropos)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back