Twin-spot goby

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my evo XII is doing well and I just transferred the two clownfish (oscellaris) in my 92g to make room for real nano fish. I currently have a clown goby 3 hermits, snails, a blood red shrimp and.... a twin-spot goby I bought yesterday without doing proper research. When I came home I did read up on it and now am worried. I do have space to make refugiums on both my aquariums but don’t have the lights nor the chaeto to start them up. No idea where to get chaeto around here actually. They say this goby needs one I guess in order to eat copepods. I am wondering if any of you have had a good experience getting that fish to eat something else. He’s nearly adult sized. Before I run to spend another 200$ or more stressing on getting a refugium up and running ASAP is there something else I can do?

Also if I get a refugium up and running within the next month do I really need pods to seed it or will they occur naturally over time? Thanks, I would very much like to see my new fish eat today anyway...

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my evo XII is doing well and I just transferred the two clownfish (oscellaris) in my 92g to make room for real nano fish. I currently have a clown goby 3 hermits, snails, a blood red shrimp and.... a twin-spot goby I bought yesterday without doing proper research. When I came home I did read up on it and now am worried. I do have space to make refugiums on both my aquariums but don’t have the lights nor the chaeto to start them up. No idea where to get chaeto around here actually. They say this goby needs one I guess in order to eat copepods. I am wondering if any of you have had a good experience getting that fish to eat something else. He’s nearly adult sized. Before I run to spend another 200$ or more stressing on getting a refugium up and running ASAP is there something else I can do?

Also if I get a refugium up and running within the next month do I really need pods to seed it or will they occur naturally over time? Thanks, I would very much like to see my new fish eat today anyway...

You could attempt to spot feed it mysis shrimp or small partical LRS reef frenzy until you get a refugium up and running. Of course you could add copepods to your system for a while.

OP
OP
Nyx101

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could attempt to spot feed it mysis shrimp or small partical LRS reef frenzy until you get a refugium up and running. Of course you could add copepods to your system for a while.

I heard great things about reef frenzy I’ll try that thanks. What amazes me is how the shop owner assured me I could keep it in a nano tank just recently established... I guess the internet is a must when shopping for fish.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard great things about reef frenzy I’ll try that thanks. What amazes me is how the shop owner assured me I could keep it in a nano tank just recently established... I guess the internet is a must when shopping for fish.

Research and controlling impulse buying is a must in this hobby. Knowing what your getting into before laying that money down goes a long way! Good luck and hang in there!:)

OP
OP
Nyx101

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bad news, the poor little guy died this morning. Checked all parameters and can’t figure what happened. I panicked and rushed to the store to get cupramine and a copper test kit and been monitoring my clown goby since then. Seems to be nothing wrong. My inverts are doing good... so I’m wondering could it have choked on my substrate? I have Ocean Direct from CaribSea and there are chuncky/shell bits in it. Its death was very sudden he was sifting fine yesterday morning then began breathing very rapidly towards the end of the day. Any of you had a similar experience with that substrate? I’d love to know if it is a problem for sandsifters not to buy another one in the future and have it die on me =/

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back