Yellow clown goby

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a yellow clown goby for 4 days. It's swimming around and perching on rocks but it doesn't seem interested in pellets or mysis shrimp. I've even grinded the food up smaller and tried target feeding. What else can I try?

miles03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue, what I did was feed freeze dried mysis using tongs for awhile. Waved it slightly around right in front of it. Then gradually added cyclops-eeze. After that started adding in crushed up flake. But also it took me awhile to see my clown goby eat probably 5 days to a week. They have small bellies so recommend if you can, multiple small feedings I do one in the morning then one more after work. Maybe 3x on the weekends. Mine will stop eating or take a break way before my clownfish does. Like eat a bite go perch somewhere, wait 30 sec eat a little bit more type thing.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be very good if you added copepods, that way he could eat all day when he wants to and because they’re alive their jerky motion will stimulate his hunting response. My husband and I are fellow reefers plus we are www.ReefBySteele.com check us out if you like. My husband has been on here for a couple of years now :) we feed our gobies a mixed pod blend of them

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tried a targeted blast of cyclops in front of the clown goby and nothing. No reaction at all. I also added to the water column and let it float for a while, nothing.

Fish looks really thin but otherwise swimming around. I've had it since Sunday. Have not seen it eat at all

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am sorry to hear about you little goby. I think they are super cute, but unfortunately too small for any of my reefs. Have a tail spot blenny and he hold his own, but he is in our smaller less aggressive tank. As my wife suggested live foods can help to get a finicky fish eating so you might a want to consider that. If you have an LFS I would try to get some right away. If not, do you have a garlic additive, I use seachem garlic guard but I know there are others available.

On the down side, if he is thin in just 5 days, he might have an internal parasite or other issue. They do have really small stomachs and generally need fed multiple times a day, but unlike some wrasses and anthias they are not constant cruisers so they don’t burn as much as fast.

Freshly hatched brine shrimp are super high in protein and lipids, super easy to hatch with the right stuff. But again you would probably need to find it local and start right away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back