Two Apex Head Units on One Tank

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - Can you place two apex head units on one tank and make them reference each other's measurements? I have a basement sump room and want the heaters to be controlled by a thermometer in the tank with heaters in the basement. There is no way to run an aqueous extension cable so it would need to be two separate head units.

OP
OP
F

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any way. Why can't you run a cable along side the plumbin

We built our house with the tank in mind but didn’t think about an apex. The Plumbing is in wall in a finished basement. I would have to open up about 50 feet of wall and ceiling.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't want to have your Apex to control your heaters anyway in a on/off fashion, just the limits. otherwise you will burn out the plug. Is the temperature difference in the two different rooms going to be so great that the flow of the water will not make up for it? I would try to reimagine your sump being your DT and your DT being a secondary. If that makes any sense.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, remember that Aquabus cables also have a 200' limit. I've seen a hack that uses Cat 5 ethernet cable to get a longer range. That may be a cheaper/easier/better route than getting multiple extension cables anyway.

Possible solutions I can think of are:
  • Using a separate temp controller in the basement sump and just using the temp probe in the display tank as an alarm.
  • Run some wire via surface conduit along the baseboard. How well this works depends on your house layout, etc, but it's a possibility.
  • If you happen to have a hardwired ethernet jack close to your tank it may be possible use that to extend the Aquabus USB cable (note - you cannot do this with a standard router; Aquabus cables are not compatible with ethernet/LAN systems. You would simply use the existing wires.)
  • Use a different controller system like the hydros that uses wifi to communicate with modules.
  • Put the heaters in the display tank (kind of defeats the whole point of having a sump)
Personally, I'd just go with the first option. The heaters are probably the most independent of all the components in the system anyway.

Back