two blennies in same 65 gallon tank?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I want to get a starry blenny and orange spotted. Should I be ok with this? Or will one likely harrass the other a lot? I'm also looking to get a helfichi firefish if that matters.

TIA

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Starry harassed my Lawnmower Blenny after he got established even though he was added almost a year after the Lawnmower. Not saying it will be your case but my Starry Blenny is a jerk.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Starry harassed my Lawnmower Blenny after he got established even though he was added almost a year after the Lawnmower. Not saying it will be your case but my Starry Blenny is a jerk.
Thanks for that. I saw another fish person say similar. I wonder if any blennies are peaceful witb other blenies.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for that. I saw another fish person say similar. I wonder if any blennies are peaceful witb other blenies.
The Lawnmower was always peaceful in my tanks. Starries are jerks. I've read that some Lawnmowers can be mean, I've just never experienced it with my 3.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are so cute/interesting/personality-ful. Id really want a few. Other than lawnmower (which is just too colorless for me :-/ ) are any others more likely to not go nuts on each other?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can sometimes get away with different types of Blennies - mixing Combtooth Blennies with other Combtooths is not recommended.

Tailspot are supposed to be good, not vicious.

Rule of thumb, add the more aggressive ones last for a better chance, be prepared to put them in timeout as needed or rehome if it gets too much.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sometimes get away with different types of Blennies - mixing Combtooth Blennies with other Combtooths is not recommended.

Tailspot are supposed to be good, not vicious.

Rule of thumb, add the more aggressive ones last for a better chance, be prepared to put them in timeout as needed or rehome if it gets too much.
Combtooths seem to be the ones that stay on the ground more than they swim, like little mudskippers.. they all look similar to the lawnmower blenny, right as far as overall body type and as far as being 'on the ground'?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Combtooths seem to be the ones that stay on the ground more than they swim, like little mudskippers.. they all look similar to the lawnmower blenny, right as far as overall body type and as far as being 'on the ground'?
Yes. Most Blennies stay on the ground and a lot of Gobies as well. Combtooths are the ones that look similar body to the Starry and Lawnmower. Tailspot is a different body shape but still will perch and scoot. Scooter Blennies are another but they're not technically Blennies I believe - they're Dragonettes.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I dont know what i was thinking the words said on my first look. It 100% makes sense even not knowing about thunderdome lol
Every lawnmower blenny Ive had was super aggressive to other blennies. My line blenny is also aggressive to new editionts

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Most Blennies stay on the ground and a lot of Gobies as well. Combtooths are the ones that look similar body to the Starry and Lawnmower. Tailspot is a different body shape but still will perch and scoot. Scooter Blennies are another but they're not technically Blennies I believe - they're Dragonettes.
Is it possible then that a tailspot will get along with a starrry or orangespotted?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's not an answer I have but potentially. Like I said, my Starry is the jerk in my tank. He even goes after the Foxface occasionally.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should be likely ok with a tail spot and an orange spotted? I'm anxiuos to get those and a helfrich from bluezoo :-D . I just made my mesh cover so i'm ready for the jumpers (unless they squeeze though the 1/4" mesh, which I heard can happen).

Back