Two Gyres- Bean Animal

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a 180 peninsula with a Synergy Reef overflow and two Gyres (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/terrys-180-sps-peninsula-upgrade.218181/) I have the Gyres running on OGC at 70% max.

I am having a really tough time getting my Bean Animal drain dialed in. The sump is in the basement.

Any suggestions? As soon as the Gyre pushes water towards the overflow, I am getting a massive rush of water, and my previously silent overflow is no longer silent.

Thanks in advance.

Iiismet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really a fix but mine had the same problem, i just moved the pump down about 5 inches.

would love to know of another way to deal with it tho because i like the look better when the pump is near the water line

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a 180 peninsula with a Synergy Reef overflow and two Gyres (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/terrys-180-sps-peninsula-upgrade.218181/) I have the Gyres running on OGC at 70% max.

I am having a really tough time getting my Bean Animal drain dialed in. The sump is in the basement.

Any suggestions? As soon as the Gyre pushes water towards the overflow, I am getting a massive rush of water, and my previously silent overflow is no longer silent.

Thanks in advance.
Don't use wave mode. Use constant flow. That might help.

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use wave mode. Use constant flow. That might help.

I am not using wave modes, the OGC mode is an alternating Gyre. Each Gyre comes on, then goes in reverse in tandem. I'd hate to lose the functionality of the pumps. I have been blown away by the 200 series pumps and controller.

I turned them down to 50% max and it seems to have helped. It is just a bit frustrating because the tank was DEAD silent before.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting a rush of water I am pretty sure it is coming from the secondary drain correct?
If so have you tried to make the water level in the overflow box a little higher? you can either make the secondary a little taller or adjust whatever you have setup that turns the secondary into a primary in case of a clog?

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting a rush of water I am pretty sure it is coming from the secondary drain correct?
If so have you tried to make the water level in the overflow box a little higher? you can either make the secondary a little taller or adjust whatever you have setup that turns the secondary into a primary in case of a clog?

Thank you! I just raised the emergency and secondary drains a bit in the external box. There is still a bit of noise right now as the air is purging from the lines. We'll see how it sounds in a bit. But this seems to have helped.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I just raised the emergency and secondary drains a bit in the external box. There is still a bit of noise right now as the air is purging from the lines. We'll see how it sounds in a bit. But this seems to have helped.
You raised the fittings or you raised the water level?
Pics of both the fittings in the overflow and of the ends of your standpipes in the sump?
Your gyres shouldn't be effecting your system. There may be a design flaw somewhere and I don't believe it to be the Gyres based off of what you describe. It's possible the water level in your box is too low, but usually this triggers the extremely loud gurgling/sucking sound. Is the noise you're hearing due to water rushing down your open channel or is there air failing to purge?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170430_124410_zpsttgrkcus.jpg

IMG_20170430_124416_zpsjd9dqk4o.jpg

Layout of the Gyres:

IMG_20170430_124456_zpsel7klpu7.jpg

Drains in the basement sump:

IMG_20170430_124534_zpsbvrfiiho.jpg

IMG_20170430_124754_zpsjmvj2xph.jpg

IMG_20170430_124813_zps86vna8fd.jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon on the left, OC on the right, both terminated about a half inch into the sump waterline. Is that correct?
It's a little hard to see what's going on in the sump photo. Nice tank by the way. Your water level in your overflow does look low. Is that a shot while it's running?
Is your return output valved down or do you have it full throttle?
Is your gate valve on the siphon?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's right. Hard to take a good pic of the basement situation.

The return pump is on full, running the tank, manifold etc.

I have to have the water level in the external box that low, or when the right Gyre comes on, the water level rises to the emergency drain.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's right. Hard to take a good pic of the basement situation.

The return pump is on full, running the tank, manifold etc.

I have to have the water level in the external box that low, or when the right Gyre comes on, the water level rises to the emergency drain.
And you have your gate on your siphon correct?
When you hold your hand under the siphon in the sump, it's a confirmed full siphon with no air bubbles correct?
Does your open channel also terminate beneath the waterline and have you confirmed that has just a little flow exiting into the sump?

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and yes. Except as the water level rises in the external box, the flow in the open channel increases dramatically

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide open is your gate on the siphon?
Do you have an air vent in your open channel?
Any estimate on your system turnover/ approx flow through your display?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my weir and standpipes for reference. Pretty much every Bean I've seen runs a waterline in their downturned elbows at this level or a little higher.

IMG_1450.JPG

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate is almost completely closed. I don't have a clue on total system turnover. I know I am not getting a ton of flow up to the display from the basement. I probably need to upgrade the return pump. Yes, there is an air vent on the open channel.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there it is. You need to drastically upsize your return. With an almost completely closed siphon, your level in your box should be flooding your emergency standpipe. Not to mention it's barely a siphon at all. The system you're currently running can handle a huge amount of flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back