Two Gyres- Bean Animal

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I know this is a thread hijack but u guys seem to know what your doing

My bean animal is silent except when the water goes thru the teeth of the weir. When I raise the water up to get it dead silent the water is out of the back box how do I adjust it so the weir is silent?

Also congrats on the new pump I love ur system hope ur refugium tank is doing well

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved... I picked up a used Reeflow Barracuda/Hamerhead hybrid and have the smalled impeller in.

It took me most of the night to get things plumbed in, but it's all working and the tank is silent. Thanks guys

Nice. Why the smaller impeller? Is the valve(s) on your return still wide open?
And I'm guessing you remembered to open up that siphon?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I know this is a thread hijack but u guys seem to know what your doing

My bean animal is silent except when the water goes thru the teeth of the weir. When I raise the water up to get it dead silent the water is out of the back box how do I adjust it so the weir is silent?

Also congrats on the new pump I love ur system hope ur refugium tank is doing well
How are you controlling the water level in your box

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have a ball valve on the full syphon slight trickle of water down the secondary actually it's right at the height of the secondary no water goes down it.

Returns I have two vectra m1 s at 80%

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have a ball valve on the full syphon slight trickle of water down the secondary actually it's right at the height of the secondary no water goes down it.

Returns I have two vectra m1 s at 80%
What is right at the height of the secondary where no water goes down? Your dry emergency?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water in the back box is. The full syphon tube is 3 1/2 inches and the secondary is five. Emergency is 6 1/2. I'm using the u from synergy reef on the full syphon line do not have an air line connected to it. The secondary and emergency are open topped. I get no sound from the pipes the sound is from the weir. I know this because if I remove it the tank is completly silent for a couple seconds till the water I guess evens out.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I raise the water up to the emergency pipe the weir stops making noise as well. But then I get a slight trickle of water coming over the back box as well like a drip an hour

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water in the back box is. The full syphon tube is 3 1/2 inches and the secondary is five. Emergency is 6 1/2. I'm using the u from synergy reef on the full syphon line do not have an air line connected to it. The secondary and emergency are open topped. I get no sound from the pipes the sound is from the weir. I know this because if I remove it the tank is completly silent for a couple seconds till the water I guess evens out.
Copy. I'm not as familiar with this type of overflow because in a coast to coast we don't really have to mess around with different heights of the downturned Ell's or emergency drain. This phenomenon is secondary to these ghosts or the other iteration, of which I forget the name. But I'd say I have a fairly solid grasp on how a Bean functions and Im curious about what you said earlier. When you restrict your siphon to raise the water level up to your toothed"weir," the overflow box runs dry. Is that correct?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out the box? Like, onto your floor?
Yea well onto the stand just enough to say hey idiot fix me. It is literally a drop of water every hour or two I just keep forgetting to trim the emergency that extra 1/8 of an inch.

And I never thought of it that way but I would assume that the front box is dry because the water is running thru the teeth directly into the back box thru the two bulkhead holes.

I believe the sound that is coming from the weir is the water trickling over the teeth into the box thru the bulkheads and then into the back box. And it's annoying because I have heard my tank completly silent so I know it can be done I just don't know how

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea well onto the stand just enough to say hey idiot fix me. It is literally a drop of water every hour or two I just keep forgetting to trim the emergency that extra 1/8 of an inch.

And I never thought of it that way but I would assume that the front box is dry because the water is running thru the teeth directly into the back box thru the two bulkhead holes.

I believe the sound that is coming from the weir is the water trickling over the teeth into the box thru the bulkheads and then into the back box. And it's annoying because I have heard my tank completly silent so I know it can be done I just don't know how
Gnarly dude. That's totally unacceptable. So you're emergency drain extends beyond the rim of your tank??
Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around what's going on in your system. If you want you can PM me, I'll give you my email and you can send me some vids so as to not hijack this thread. I'll do my best to get you sorted out. A loud Bean( or variation thereof) that also leaks out your tank just entirely defeats the purpose of this system and needs to be overhauled immediately.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gnarly dude. That's totally unacceptable. So you're emergency drain extends beyond the rim of your tank??
Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around what's going on in your system. If you want you can PM me, I'll give you my email and you can send me some vids so as to not hijack this thread. I'll do my best to get you sorted out. A loud Bean( or variation thereof) that also leaks out your tank just entirely defeats the purpose of this system and needs to be overhauled immediately.
Pm sent

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update...

The Hammerhead/Barracuda is plumed in, after a few mishaps last night that took me longer than I hoped to get figured out, including flooding the frag tank all over the basement floor...

Sitting in the living room now, and when I say the tank is SILENT, I mean I cannot even hear the Gyers. I hear NOTHING. Thanks for all the help.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stoked to hear it's silent but I notice you mentioned you've got the valve on your new return pump all the way open with the smaller impeller. Just curious as to why you didn't go with the larger impeller? It's possible that your system could tolerate/benefit from the larger hammerhead orientation. Also, did you open up the siphon? It's cool that it's silent but obviously the main goal is total system turnover.

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoked to hear it's silent but I notice you mentioned you've got the valve on your new return pump all the way open with the smaller impeller. Just curious as to why you didn't go with the larger impeller? It's possible that your system could tolerate/benefit from the larger hammerhead orientation. Also, did you open up the siphon? It's cool that it's silent but obviously the main goal is total system turnover.

I am just not looking for that much flow through the sump. The siphon is open much more now with the bigger pump.

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the new return pump, I am still getting a ton of fluxutation as the Gyres alternate. At a loss about what to do

datawolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn off the gyres, I'm assuming you can get the system dialed in and silent. If that is the case, then here is what I think is happening based on my own experience with regular powerheads aimed upwards.

When the gyre pushes a lot of water, there is a sudden increase of water volume into the overflox box. You are not running the gyres at a constant speed, so every time they ramp up, the volume increases. Imagine that you have a ball/gate valve on your return pump line. If you quickly opened the valve then returned it to the original position, you would have the same gurgling from the non-siphon pipe. When the gyre pushes extra water into the overflow box, it has to go somewhere. The siphon pipe is at capacity, so it goes down the non-siphon pipe and causes increased gurgling.

I think you will have to either reposition the gyres, change their mode, or reduce their intensity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back