Bean animal question

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up new tank and running water through it for the first time. I noticed my open channel is running lots of water. I thought open channel was only suppose to have a trickle. Should it produce this much water flow in the open channel?

My siphon line is pretty open all the way in the valve. I haven’t optimized for noise yet.

My open channel is only slightly higher than the siphon line in the overflow, wondering if thats the problem. Its about 1.5” higher.

Also my overflow bean animal is plumbed with 1” pvc.

Last edited:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, that is the right theory of it, the main siphon should carry the bulk of the flow and the open line the rest. Really though as long as the open line stays "open" you will be fine. If you flow too much through it, the water closes the air channel in the middle and makes it noisey. 1 inch should flow plenty through the siphon, what size return pump are you using? Is anything obstructing flow in your siphon line?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now its not even going through the return. Im just pumping water i to the tank using a mag5 i think, and the overflow is pushing water into the sump. Will run the return later tonight once all the water is in.

Return is vextra m1

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed it... I did some troubleshooting and found the siphon pipe didnt get any water at all.. everything was going to the open line..

When I removed the "U" shape pipe, it fixed it.. I'm just using a strainer now and its working..

Why when I used the "U" pipe fitting, it didnt work? I tried to adjust the height of the U but it still didnt let any water in.

Basically this one with the double elbow was a no go:
maxresdefault.jpg

But this one with strainer was good:
Types_of_Overflow_Drains-03.jpg

(Above are images I found online)

Last edited:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed it... I did some troubleshoting and fund the siphon pipe didnt get any water at all.. everything was going to the open line..

When I removed the "U" shape pipe, it fixed it.. I'm just using a strainer now and its working..

Why when I used the "U" pipe fitting, it didnt work? I tried to adjust the height of the U but it still didnt let any water in.

Basically this one with the double elbow was a no go:
maxresdefault.jpg

But this one with strainer was good:
Types_of_Overflow_Drains-03.jpg

(Above are images I found online)
Was the other end of the u pipe under water? It could have airlocked. Glad you got it going though

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the U pipe for the siphon was fully submerged. The water line in the overflow as very high, going all into open channel.

Now that its fixed, Its dead quiet.. Cant even tell the aquarium is there. What was the purpose of the U pipe, and why cant you just do a regular straight pipe with a strainer?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Dead silent is the goal.
The U should work, but you cant submerge it past about an inch or so or they can airlock. No reason you cant roll with the strainer.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the U pipe for the siphon was fully submerged. The water line in the overflow as very high, going all into open channel.

Now that its fixed, Its dead quiet.. Cant even tell the aquarium is there. What was the purpose of the U pipe, and why cant you just do a regular straight pipe with a strainer?
I've personally never found the durso style drain (the one with the "U" pipe) to be helpful at all. A full siphon with a strainer is the way to go :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I stopped using the double elbows on the top of the siphon in favor of a basic strainer many years ago. I also dropped it down significantly so there was no possibility of a vortex (now the strainer is placed directly into the bulkhead). The only downside of dropping it down is that it increases the drain down in the event of power loss, so if you choose to do that make sure your sump can handle the extra volume. If you do use the double elbows, just drill a small hole in the top. That eliminates any air locking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back