OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn off the gyres, I'm assuming you can get the system dialed in and silent. If that is the case, then here is what I think is happening based on my own experience with regular powerheads aimed upwards.

When the gyre pushes a lot of water, there is a sudden increase of water volume into the overflox box. You are not running the gyres at a constant speed, so every time they ramp up, the volume increases. Imagine that you have a ball/gate valve on your return pump line. If you quickly opened the valve then returned it to the original position, you would have the same gurgling from the non-siphon pipe. When the gyre pushes extra water into the overflow box, it has to go somewhere. The siphon pipe is at capacity, so it goes down the non-siphon pipe and causes increased gurgling.

I think you will have to either reposition the gyres, change their mode, or reduce their intensity.

That is basically the conclusion I've come to. I dialed back the return pump a bit, and turned down the Gyres. I am going to program that Gyres so that they are on higher during the day (when I'm and work) and lower, and thus quieter in the mornings and night.

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved.

I was running the Gyres on the pre-programmed OTC setting, which had the Gyres alternating, and wasn't working. I took some time, learned how to program the 200 series controller, and have them on a program I created that has the tank silent when I am home in the mornings and evening/night, I don't care if it is loud during the day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back