Two Gyres Flow Direction

cdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two XF250's running in my 5ft tank. They are programmed on offset pulse at opposite ends of the tank with the flow meeting somewhere in the middle. My problem is that I find each end of my tank doesn't get much flow.
Looking again at the examples of placement and water flow illustrated by Maxspect, it seems that they should only be running in a single direction, not opposing directions?

Should I be running the second with reverse rotors to get a one direction flow going, and do you think it would help with the dead spots on each end?

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I would like to understand this as well. Thanks

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally decided recently to having switching directions every 6 hours on my tank. Kind of like a tide coming in, or out. So I’d one side for 6 hours (other side off), and then switch.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best pattern.. and ridiculously complicated way to set up the gyres is to actually take advantage of their awesome program-ability. Those base settings are pretty weak. You can set up a custom 24 hour pattern with times and custom flow patterns for each time of the day. I typically start the day with this "sand blaster" setting, then ramp down until the halides kick on, this is when the tank has the strongest settings. When the halides turn off it is pretty chill and at night time, they are barely running.

You can easily set up your own type of "counter-synced" just by powering down and pulsing one head and have the other one really cranking.

save yourself some pain in your life and just fast forward to 8:20. lol

OP
OP
C

cdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally decided recently to having switching directions every 6 hours on my tank. Kind of like a tide coming in, or out. So I’d one side for 6 hours (other side off), and then switch.
How did you achieve this?
I've been through the instructions and I cannot see how to increase from 10 seconds.

OP
OP
C

cdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best pattern.. and ridiculously complicated way to set up the gyres is to actually take advantage of their awesome program-ability. Those base settings are pretty weak. You can set up a custom 24 hour pattern with times and custom flow patterns for each time of the day. I typically start the day with this "sand blaster" setting, then ramp down until the halides kick on, this is when the tank has the strongest settings. When the halides turn off it is pretty chill and at night time, they are barely running.

You can easily set up your own type of "counter-synced" just by powering down and pulsing one head and have the other one really cranking.

save yourself some pain in your life and just fast forward to 8:20. lol

This is great info.
My problem is that my display has become hard to read...but I'll see what I can do.
Thanks.

OP
OP
C

cdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By following the directions in the link I provided. Sorry about the difficult to read screen. Maybe turn the lights off?
Yeah, I saw your link after I had replied to HomeSlizzice. Definitely going to give this a shot.

OP
OP
C

cdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By following the directions in the link I provided. Sorry about the difficult to read screen. Maybe turn the lights off?
The screen is slightly corrupted which makes numbers hard to distinguish, nothing to do with having lights on or off.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4th tank same gyres, my display is like yours. I have mine set on gyre mode antisync pump B. Ramp up 10sec high 6sec ramp down 10sec low 6sec. This gives the water in my tank time to switch directions and get a few seconds of max flow on each side. When I change the blades I start at 50% then over 2months or so keep bumping it up to 70% until I finally change again. I tried the above custom program but it didn’t work correctly. I couldn’t figure out why and the display doesn’t help.

Not to hijack but I’ve been wanting to know if others run in reverse? Both my pumps out of the box I have to set flow to -.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you achieve this?
I've been through the instructions and I cannot see how to increase from 10 seconds.

I did this with Jebao's on an amazon wifi outlet. It allows me to have timed schedules to turn outlets on/off.

U

User1

View Badges
Not to hijack but I’ve been wanting to know if others run in reverse? Both my pumps out of the box I have to set flow to -.

Interesting to ask that. Long and short of it is in order to use the reverse mode you have to swap a blade. It does not come that way by default. From time to time you will see some posts asking about the OGC built in mode. It requires a blade swap to get the reverse flow.

I believe I read somewhere, and I can't find it darn it, that the firmware upgrade helps with the font issue.

Also with two pumps opposite ends I don't believe it is recommended to use the built in flow patterns because you can do more with the custom or build your own mode.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back