Two leopard wrasses

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female leopard wrasse(http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=339 that is as fat as a pig, I've had her nearly a year, and she's about 2.5" long. Well, I went into a LFS today and saw another leopard wrasse (http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?pid=1000&cid=290&did=1) roughly the same length. I had them hold it for me until this coming Tuesday. However, now that I got home and thinking about it (and Chad mentioned it) I am wondering if they will fight. What is your opinion on this?

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bank on that they won't fight, especially if the first wrasse has been established for a long time. Also, the divided wrasse (in my experience) is very hard to keep and acclimate. Both that I bought in the past jumped within hours or died from infection.

If you do get it, let us know how it goes.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't try it. I really like leopard wrasses and the one thing I read was that if you do not get them paired, or have enough room for one to escape, then you are taking a big risk.
I am still looking to replace a leopard wrasse I had in the past. They are amazing fish and despite what others tell you, they will learn to eat prepared foods (my tang taught my old leopard how to eat nori).

BTW, my comment was in regard to a 40g tank. If you have a 6 foot tank or larger than it may be easier to get away with this. One more note on this. You could setup a temp or QT area in your tank using a piece of acrylic. With the clear acrylic it allows the two fishes to flash their stuff but not attack each other. If their behavior appears to be non aggressive you could give it a trial run.

Just an idea.

Last edited:

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You prob already know this, but inspect their mouths before you buy them. Many when being shipped try to bury in the sand, which there isn't and damage their mouth making them less likely to eat.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a number of meleagris in my 125, but I put them all in together. After viewing the link above, I guess I have one large female, one large (slightly smaller than the female-wildly different coloration), and two smalls that have the same coloration as the female. I put them all in and the last one came out of the sand five weeks after putting them in the tank... The 'male' meleagris was the last to come out and seems to be bullied by the female (only a few weeks after the female was out and about). I would think that going with a smaller fish for submission would be better (works with a good many reef fish, IME). Hope that rambling has some benefit...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back