Two male clowns.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm heading to the store in an hour, and they told me they had a female clown and a bunch of males. They are all the same exact type, but the female is twice as much as the males.

If I get two males, average size, would one turn into a female? Or will they kill each other?

Any info would be helpful.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get two males just fine. They will change genders once they figure out who's top dog.

My advise, do some research on clowns. They act weird sometimes and you'll be freaking out thinking they are sick...when they are just being clowns.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm heading to the store in an hour, and they told me they had a female clown and a bunch of males. They are all the same exact type, but the female is twice as much as the males.

If I get two males, average size, would one turn into a female? Or will they kill each other?

Any info would be helpful.
When you put two clownfish in a tank, normally over time one will become more dominant and change into a female. The female clown is normally bigger than the male too.
But yes +1 on researching the clowns. They can do some weird things sometimes but they are just being themselves

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, does it matter how old they are? Only $25, so I don't expect them to be too big.
You are probably going to be buying occelaris or percula clowns for $25 which is completely fine. Do you have any anemone or plan to get an anemone?

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably going to be buying occelaris or percula clowns for $25 which is completely fine. Do you have any anemone or plan to get an anemone?
Yes, I do plan on getting an anemone, I will also be getting my first corals today, and eventually will get an anemone. It is 8 months old, and 37 gallons in total.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to note: It isn't my first having clowns, it is just the first time they told me there is different pricing between males and females.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do plan on getting an anemone, I will also be getting my first corals today, and eventually will get an anemone. It is 8 months old, and 37 gallons in total.

I just had this issue and wished I researched more prior. Just keep this in mind. I have 2 occelaris clowns that host my dang overflow and mag float in the top corner. I have a bubble tip anemone that they want nothing to do with. I’ve tried everything I put them together in tight space acclimation box for a week, still want nothing to do with it. The bubble tip is not a natural host for occelaris clowns in the wild so it’s a little more difficult. If you are going with a bubble tip, Maroon clowns may be the way to go. Or if you wanna go with occelaris clowns the carpet anemone may be the way to go

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this issue and wished I researched more prior. Just keep this in mind. I have 2 occelaris clowns that host my dang overflow and mag float in the top corner. I have a bubble tip anemone that they want nothing to do with. I’ve tried everything I put them together in tight space acclimation box for a week, still want nothing to do with it. The bubble tip is not a natural host for occelaris clowns in the wild so it’s a little more difficult. If you are going with a bubble tip, Maroon clowns may be the way to go. Or if you wanna go with occelaris clowns the carpet anemone may be the way to go
Definitely want to get an anemone at some point, but will have to research more. I don't want maroon clowns, they say they're very aggressive, and get large. I used to have blood orange in my old tank and they were pretty aggressive.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Different prices based on size is common. When they are saying male at this price and female at this price it is likely based on size (females are larger than males). If and when you do get an anemone, take you time and let your tank mature. At the moment I am keeping 7 species of clownfish and do not currently have any anemones. It is beautiful to watch the hosting interaction, but it is not necessary for keeping and breeding clownfish. Good luck with whatever you decide!

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different prices based on size is common. When they are saying male at this price and female at this price it is likely based on size (females are larger than males). If and when you do get an anemone, take you time and let your tank mature. At the moment I am keeping 7 species of clownfish and do not currently have any anemones. It is beautiful to watch the hosting interaction, but it is not necessary for keeping and breeding clownfish. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I currently have 2 occelaris clowns in my 120G. I wanted to get another set of different species clownfish. Will this be ok to do or will there be a war in my tank?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have 2 occelaris clowns in my 120G. I wanted to get another set of different species clownfish. Will this be ok to do or will there be a war in my tank?

Personally I wouldn't take the risk, but many others have with varying levels of success. Some will disagree with this statement, but IMO a 120g is the dividing line when it comes to having more than one pair of clownfish (of course, clownfish species and the temperament of the individual clowns also comes into play). Of course, you could use this as an excuse to set up another tank!!!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If given a choice I’d always pick two males and let one of them change. Depending on species, mature females can bully their prospective mates to death if they aren’t already bonded with them. Just my experience. :)

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't take the risk, but many others have with varying levels of success. Some will disagree with this statement, but IMO a 120g is the dividing line when it comes to having more than one pair of clownfish (of course, clownfish species and the temperament of the individual clowns also comes into play). Of course, you could use this as an excuse to set up another tank!!!
Lol no room for another tank right now. My clowns are hosted my overflow and they never swim around the tank and it drives me absolutely nuts

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
two males are a potential war as they often try to claim a territory. I have multiple tanks and in the drop off, the males are generally squabbling. Once in a while you get lucky but thats hit and miss. As you will soon find out, 2 males of anything aquatic is never a good thing

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back