Two Part Dosing....yes, another question!

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry....I know there's a lot of questions on 2 part dosing - and I've scrolled through a few.

But...here's where I'm at.

I'm using ESV - currently dosing 70mls of Alk + 60mls of Calc (Been told 10ml difference isn't an issue). I also dose Trace...since I don't rely on waterchanges. Add Mag like once every few mths...

Issue...my ALK still drops. Doesn't stay up......been told, to supplement Alk with another product (say Red Sea). Well, what the heck is the point in dosing 2 part - if I need to supplement it?

I'm using ESV because it's potent and readily available. If I dose equally - Calc shoots up (why I have a 10ml gap). Calc and Mag - are fairly stable, with where they are at. Whats the point in 2 part dosing, if

1. I'm not dosing equal amounts anyways
2. I need to use a 3rd product to keep my Alk stable, like my Calc and Mag

I'm sure there's plenty of insight here...Ive never understood 2 part dosing. As, I've never had my levels drop the same.

Help? :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some processes can lower and raise alk (i.e. nitrate increasing/decreasing). You can dose more alk if need be.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some processes can lower and raise alk (i.e. nitrate increasing/decreasing). You can dose more alk if need be.
Right - but I'm "not supposed" to add more 2 part. It'll throw off the 2 part equation.

I did (for poops and giggles + lack of other product) add more ESV Alk. I wanted to bring Alk up....but over the past few days, again - it's slowly depleting.

Do I just say to heck with it and increase Alk dosing, and leave Calc along - thus furthering the 2 part gap

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that your measurements are correct, then yes just increase Alk dosing. IME, as corals grow the demand for Alk increases at a higher rate than Calcium realizing that there are too many variables to come up with a standard formula for everyone. I have been dosing almost 50% more Alk than Ca for years.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that your measurements are correct, then yes just increase Alk dosing. IME, as corals grow the demand for Alk increases at a higher rate than Calcium realizing that there are too many variables to come up with a standard formula for everyone. I have been dosing almost 50% more Alk than Ca for years.
That's the way I saw it too.

I was absolutely dosing outside of the "equal" ratio for sometime....till someone slapped my hand.

The finer elements in 2 part, get out of whack and then cause issues (what I was told). I am doing regular ICP tests - to ensure trace elements are proper, but tank-wise, I've never seen any adverse effects.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing water changes, the whole adding alk/cal in equal parts just doesn't matter. I might pay more attention to it if I wasn't doing any water changes but it still takes a long time and/or a lot of dosing to cause an imbalance.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing water changes, the whole adding alk/cal in equal parts just doesn't matter. I might pay more attention to it if I wasn't doing any water changes but it still takes a long time and/or a lot of dosing to cause an imbalance.
Ya, no WCs. Haven't needed to do in since I fired up the system - 3 years ago.

I prefer dosing - as it gives me more control. System does a well enough job to export nutrients, without needing my interference.

I was thinking same - if there is imbalance, from the 2 part dosing at different levels, it would take a substantial amount of time. I'm starting to do ICP tests - and adjust my trace dosing, accordingly. I feel - the ICP and paying attention to trace levels, is important too - to avoid a imbalance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - but I'm "not supposed" to add more 2 part. It'll throw off the 2 part equation.

I did (for poops and giggles + lack of other product) add more ESV Alk. I wanted to bring Alk up....but over the past few days, again - it's slowly depleting.

Do I just say to heck with it and increase Alk dosing, and leave Calc along - thus furthering the 2 part gap

I don't see the problem with adding more alk than calcium in this case. A two part is supposed to add the correct amounts of calcium and alk when being consumed by calcium carbonate building organisms. However, other processes can impact alk, hence why you may need to adjust one.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to verify alk using another testing method, I'm assuming you are using Hanna alk checker. I was getting 7.5 to 7.6 readings daily and I was adding alk everyday to try get back to 8 dkH. It didn't make sense I was consuming this much alk, as I don't have too many corals yet. Eventually I got a new alk reagent and I was actually at 8.9 dKH.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back