Two part dosing

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my tank runs with a calcium of 420, alk at 9 and mag at???( I'm working on getting a test kit this weekend). I'm going to be switching over to the BRS two part solution to start working on my calcium and mag. I will be using the brs calculator to help figure out the dosing. My question is I don't want to raise my alk any higher than it already is, so will I need to even bother dosing alk? I'm new to the whole two part game so I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, just trying to learn before I start dosing two part.

joker295

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you will need to dose alk in your tank depending on the daily usage in your tank you will need to monitor and dose accordingly start slow

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk will be consumed in your tank just as calcium is and the demand will change as corals grow. YOu may not have to dose much if you are doing regular water changes, but that will change as your corals grow out.

OP
OP
C

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idealy what number calcium do u try to get? I was thinking 450-460 calcium and I know mag needs to be at 1400.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim for 420-450, personally. NSW levels are often around the 420 range... if I recall correctly.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400-450. And yes, NSW is approximately 420

OP
OP
C

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best two part solution to run? I also will need a good mag supplement. I was thinking of going with the BRS product line, unless there is something better on the market?

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the BRS almost exclusively over the years. There are others that replace trace elements (Such as B-Ionic) but they will be replaced with waterchanges. To me it's not worth spending the extra $$

OP
OP
C

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, Ill go with the BRS product then. I try to always do weekly water changes.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use te DIY Randy's Recipe... but I use Morten's CaCl and Seachem Mg. Cheap as all heck and works great. I syphon off any precipitate from the CaCl mixing... despite how "safe" it is claimed to be....

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use te DIY Randy's Recipe... but I use Morten's CaCl and Seachem Mg. Cheap as all heck and works great. I syphon off any precipitate from the CaCl mixing... despite how "safe" it is claimed to be....

I just started using Randy's DIY for the past 6 months and getting the same results as the BRS I used before.

For Calcium:
DrivewayHeat.jpg

For alk:
bakingsoda.jpg

Cost me at the most $21 ($16 for 50# bag of the Driveways Heet and $5 for 11# bag of the baking soda) that will last about 2 years....lol

OP
OP
C

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u buy the calcium mix at? I've heard baking soda for alk.

OP
OP
C

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum, well could be hard for me to get it in San Antonio because we don't get snow. I'll have to figure some way to get a bag of it.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the redsea mag test kit any good?

I've used it several times with good results, but recently got a RedSea kit that I swear is off. It constantly gave me readings of 1800+ without dosing Mag for a week, compared to a Salifert test kit giving me a reading of 1200. It may just be my lot number, but I heard a couple similar complaints and RedSea denies any problem thus far

OP
OP
C

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it several times with good results, but recently got a RedSea kit that I swear is off. It constantly gave me readings of 1800+ without dosing Mag for a week, compared to a Salifert test kit giving me a reading of 1200. It may just be my lot number, but I heard a couple similar complaints and RedSea denies any problem thus far

I've been reading similiar things to what u you are saying. I'm just going to order a salifert mag test.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back