Two Part or Kalkwasser

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to reefing and have a 30 month old mixed reef tank with some softies, a few LPS and a few SPS. I'm dosing BRS two part (soda ash and calcium chloride) along with magnesium with a Red Sea auto-dose which is working fine but I can't get pH above 7.9 to 8.0, even with a small chaeto fuge and a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer intake. I live in the midwest so opening windows is not an option for about 9 months a year. Tank is in the basement of a new house with 5 people, 2 cats and a dog. I can't run an outside air line due to the location of the tank. I'm wondering if switching from two-part to kalkwasser with the auto doser would be a good idea.

OP
OP
kdtorgy

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems a little low. From what I’ve read 8.3 is optimal but I could be chasing numbers which I know is not a good idea.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
seems a little low. From what I’ve read 8.3 is optimal but I could be chasing numbers which I know is not a good idea.
Kalk could give you a bit of a boost, but no guarantee, I went from 7.9 to 8.1 with a little bit of Kalk but I have to watch it doesn't boost alkalinity too much, but my tank is still very young.

There are a lot of tanks that sit at 7.9 8.0, they thrive, if what you have works let it ride.

OP
OP
kdtorgy

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of recipes I found by him. I’m guessing the alkalinity recipe using sodium hydroxide instead of baking soda is the one to which you are referring?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to reefing and have a 30 month old mixed reef tank with some softies, a few LPS and a few SPS. I'm dosing BRS two part (soda ash and calcium chloride) along with magnesium with a Red Sea auto-dose which is working fine but I can't get pH above 7.9 to 8.0, even with a small chaeto fuge and a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer intake. I live in the midwest so opening windows is not an option for about 9 months a year. Tank is in the basement of a new house with 5 people, 2 cats and a dog. I can't run an outside air line due to the location of the tank. I'm wondering if switching from two-part to kalkwasser with the auto doser would be a good idea.

Yes, switching to slow dosed kalkwasser or the sodium hydroxide two part will help with pH a bit. :)

OP
OP
kdtorgy

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, switching to slow dosed kalkwasser or the sodium hydroxide two part will help with pH a bit. :)
Hi Randy, thanks for your input. Someone referred me to your dosing recipes. I'm assuming you are referring to the recipe that uses 283 grams of sodium hydroxide in 1 gallon of water for the alkalinity part and 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate for the calcium part?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Alk? your pH is within normal range, so I wouldn’t worry if your alk, ca, and mag are all normal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thanks for your input. Someone referred me to your dosing recipes. I'm assuming you are referring to the recipe that uses 283 grams of sodium hydroxide in 1 gallon of water for the alkalinity part and 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate for the calcium part?

Yes, this recipe:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back