Two part suggestions

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to run out of my two part alk/ca and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what product works best for them and why they chose one product over another?
I am currently using Kent’s A/B

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem's Reef Fusion1 & 2 because that's what my LFS handed me when I walked in and said I needed 2 part...how's THAT for research LOL?

I do like them though...no mixing, just switch out bottles on my doser and I'm done. Also, RF1 contains Mg. I'm not sure how much, but between that and water changes I never dose Mg separately. It also contains some trace elements which I guess technically I'm dosing but not testing for. I never thought about that until just now....

I can't speak to cost because I've never done any comparison. It's probably one of the most expensive with my luck...ignorance is bliss.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my suggestions.....use Randy's two part. You may do this by finding the ingredients yourself, or simply order them from BRS. HERE's Randy's recipe. If you order from BRS, buy sodium carbonate, and now there is no need to do the baking step....or save some $$$ and purchase the large bag of baking soda, 13.5 pounds, and bake it yourself. You get about 12 gallons of alkalinity solution for about six bucks.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem's Reef Fusion1 & 2 because that's what my LFS handed me when I walked in and said I needed 2 part...how's THAT for research LOL?

That’s exactly how I got the Kent’s

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my suggestions.....use Randy's two part. You may do this by finding the ingredients yourself, or simply order them from BRS. HERE's Randy's recipe. If you order from BRS, buy sodium carbonate, and now there is no need to do the baking step....or save some $$$ and purchase the large bag of baking soda, 13.5 pounds, and bake it yourself. You get about 12 gallons of alkalinity solution for about six bucks.

Where do you find the calcium and magnesium salts? I live in the Midwest and cannot find any winter salts that don't have other additives.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking Soda and Dowflake. Even if you have to order Calcium Chloride, everybody can get baking soda.

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get dowflake? I also cannot find the magnesium components locally. I have considered ordering online but not sure how that compares to BRS.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you find the calcium and magnesium salts? I live in the Midwest and cannot find any winter salts that don't have other additives.

Since 2007 I've been using Prestone Driveway Heat for calcium. I could not find Dow Flakes in my area.

For magnesium, I use MAG Flakes (another ice melt product) and Epsom salt from a local drug store.

The alk part, I purchase a 13.5 pound bag of Arm and Hammer Baking soda from Sam's Club.

I've never actually calculated what my yearly dosing costs are, but guess it only cost me between 5 - 10 dollars a year. I still have the original 50 lb bags of Driveway Heat and MAG Flakes. Actually the MAG Flakes are a life-time supply.

PurduePete93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used ESV B-ionic for a long time and I've been pleased with it. Used to think it was the gold standard, but don't know if there's anything better now?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS major elements. Bought the powders 3 years ago and I'm still using the same batch dosing about 40ml/day of Alk and Ca, and the Mag is only dosed as needed which is not much.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered seachem fusion 2 part. My Tank is small and I only need to dose about 10ml a day of Kent’s so I think with the fusion it will be around 7ml. So a 500ml will last me close to 3 months. I’m new to the dosing so I’m gonna try to be as easy as I can be for now. Thanks all for the help

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered seachem fusion 2 part. My Tank is small and I only need to dose about 10ml a day of Kent’s so I think with the fusion it will be around 7ml. So a 500ml will last me close to 3 months. I’m new to the dosing so I’m gonna try to be as easy as I can be for now. Thanks all for the help
Let us know how it goes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is no object, I'd pick B-ionic from ESV. There's no independent information on what is in any commercial two part that I have seen, so it comes down to trust. I tend to trust ESV with chemical issues, although that is primarily because of problematic statements and claims from other manufacturers. I'm sure many of them are perfectly fine.

If cost is a concern, I'd use a DIY (like from BRS) and then potentially think more about issues such as potassium and/or making sure water changes are part of your plan since DIY products may not balance elements beyond the primary ingredients.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are in a "transition", consider switching the two part approach to the complete three part Balling Method to avoid the ionic imbalance created by the two part method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are in a "transition", consider switching the two part approach to the complete three part Balling Method to avoid the ionic imbalance created by the two part method.

Or use a two part that doesn't cause an imbalance. :)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use a two part that doesn't cause an imbalance. :)

In an attempt to keep this thread on point, I will keep from opening this discussion up once again. You all know my feeling, and Randy's, about two part methods and what kind of imbalance they do or do not cause. Randy and I will choose to agree to disagree on this. ;Bored

Randy, maybe we can sit down over a cup of coffee one day and both come to some middle ground on this so that it doesn't keep coming up every time someone mentions two part method? ;Nailbiting

By the way, just to be a little "producty" for a second, if you look into the Tropic Marin Carbocalcium, you can accomplish this addition without any question of ionic imbalance coming up. (my apologies for the brand promotion ;))
Here's a link:
http://www.tropic-marin.com/minerals/carbocalcium/?lang=en

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Robsk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef fusion product worked very well for me in a 45 cube with mostly sps for over a year. I continue to use it in a 75 with good success. I think you will be pleased. The only other 2 part product I used a few years back was brightwell reef code. It worked well for me too. I actually like to think that the 2 part products that "say" they have other trace elements in them actually do. To me, that is helpful to the reef. Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back