Two Part

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

How much two part is being wasted?

I have an SPS dominated reef system around 400 gallons in total. Some very large sps colonies. 1/2’ . Around one month ago I switched to sodium hydroxide from soda ash to get a pH bump. Fast forward, I am now able to maintain a stable pH at 8.3 with around a 0.05 swing daily. What I have seen however is an increased precipitation of calcium chloride on the walls of the aquarium and increased sps growth. Yesterday in total I used around 2700dkh from a combination of sources. I dosed 5000ml ml of fully saturated kalkwasser, 950ml sodium bicarbonate and 1350ml of sodium hydroxide.

Before asking, the sodium hydroxide is being delivered to the sump directly in front of a power head.

Back to the question, how much am I wasting?

Using this much two part seems like a recipe for water chemistry issues. I do use tropic marin part c.

Should I just turn on the calcium reactor and add a large refugium to help with the demands? The tank is only half way full, can’t imagine the two part requirements at 100% capacity.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to take this question over to the Chemistry forum to figure out "how much" is being wasted versus consumed. I have seen people do math over there ;) Have your solution figures ready, we don't want to guess on concentration levels.

Having stuff precip out isn't great for a few obvious reasons. Waste and also wear on mechanicals.

I dose ESV 2-Part (always have) at about 100ml and 4liters of Kalkwasser each cycle. Dosing Kalk really lets me stretch my ESV use. It was +250ml before kalk. Great combo IMO.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What size system and bio load?
I dose ESV 2-Part (always have) at about 100ml and 4liters of Kalkwasser each cycle. Dosing Kalk really lets me stretch my ESV use. It was +250ml before kalk. Great combo IMO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back