Two Powerheads & Still Detritus on Rocks

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 34 Deep blue bare bottom frag tank I have two powerheads on opposite ends pointing towards the center middle surface of the tank. The rocks continue to get detritus build up and than appears like a red cyano blanket but blows off with a baster.

I am wondering if I should add an additional powerhead lower in the tank on a lower flow to suspend the detritus ? Should I take one of the two opposite end powerheads to do this?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's cyano, cyano is gonna grow where it's gonna grow. Powerheads will just mask the problem. Do you have a new tank? if so, wait it out. Do you have a mature reef? (1+year) if so, check your nutrient levels and make sure both nitrate and phosphate are at reasonable levels.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's cyano, cyano is gonna grow where it's gonna grow. Powerheads will just mask the problem. Do you have a new tank? if so, wait it out. Do you have a mature reef? (1+year) if so, check your nutrient levels and make sure both nitrate and phosphate are at reasonable levels.
It's 1+ years at this point it's had incredible ups and downs and coralline algae is really kicking in now so it's maturing, just ugly to look at tbh.

I think it might just need some flow lower in the tank.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 powerhead, and between them my goal has always been 100 times system turnover per hour. I still have detritus. That's what turkey basters are for. Mike paletta thinks, NOT basting your rocks and or your corals is a major cause of RTN and stn

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back