Two Questions: One Trident Related, One overflow related

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you in advance:

1. Question 1: I just had to refill my reagent A in my Trident. I used ABC regents. My alkalinity spiked from 8.5 to 13.97. Obviously incorrect. This is so high i dont even think a recallibration makes sense. Thoughts?
2. My overflow has gotten significantly louder lately. It is not the down pipe. I have that perfectly quiet. It is literally the water falling a few inches into the overflow that is very loud. I dont have an emergency drain in my tank so restricting the downflow is not an option. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on the Trident issue but for the overflow I can offer two possibilities.
1. Too much flow down the pipe.
2. Not enough water back into the tank.

#1 could be fixed by restricting the flow but you've said that this isn't possible.
#2 could be a pump issue. Possibly slowing down or restricted by debris. It could also be low water level, is your ATO working correctly?

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on the Trident issue but for the overflow I can offer two possibilities.
1. Too much flow down the pipe.
2. Not enough water back into the tank.

#1 could be fixed by restricting the flow but you've said that this isn't possible.
#2 could be a pump issue. Possibly slowing down or restricted by debris. It could also be low water level, is your ATO working correctly?
Thank you for the response. I was thinking that I probably need to bump up my return flow to compensate. Didnt even think about something restricting the flow. ATO is fine...its a Tunze!! Thank you

Krampus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you in advance:

1. Question 1: I just had to refill my reagent A in my Trident. I used ABC regents. My alkalinity spiked from 8.5 to 13.97. Obviously incorrect. This is so high i dont even think a recallibration makes sense. Thoughts?
2. My overflow has gotten significantly louder lately. It is not the down pipe. I have that perfectly quiet. It is literally the water falling a few inches into the overflow that is very loud. I dont have an emergency drain in my tank so restricting the downflow is not an option. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
1) Test alk with a Salifert, or your test kit of choice, for an accurrate north on the compass of where the alk should be. I would also do a recalibration using an average of a few tests with a Salifert, or your test kit of choice.

2) If the noise is from the overflow water hitting the surface of the water in the overflow box, then the best way to decrease the noise is to decrease the height that the water has to fall to hit the surface of the water in the overflow box. Extend the downpipe up, cause the water to fall maybe 1-2" before it hits the surface, and call it a day.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured out why 'all of a sudden' it was louder. The increase in decibel levels started once I removed a nice size chunk of bubble algae from where the water enters the overflow..which was giving the water a down ramp into the overflow and avoided the splashing. So I need to put something back in its place so that it gives the water something to cling onto as it goes into the overflow. Maybe a sponge..or heck, let the bubble algae come back.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Test alk with a Salifert, or your test kit of choice, for an accurrate north on the compass of where the alk should be. I would also do a recalibration using an average of a few tests with a Salifert, or your test kit of choice.

2) If the noise is from the overflow water hitting the surface of the water in the overflow box, then the best way to decrease the noise is to decrease the height that the water has to fall to hit the surface of the water in the overflow box. Extend the downpipe up, cause the water to fall maybe 1-2" before it hits the surface, and call it a day.
You know what is REALLY interesting. The water level in my overflow is actually below the U in my duroso. How is that even possible?

Krampus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured out why 'all of a sudden' it was louder. The increase in decibel levels started once I removed a nice size chunk of bubble algae from where the water enters the overflow..which was giving the water a down ramp into the overflow and avoided the splashing. So I need to put something back in its place so that it gives the water something to cling onto as it goes into the overflow. Maybe a sponge..or heck, let the bubble algae come back.
I would not recommend the sponge because you'll forget about it, it will clog, and you could potentially overflow, depending on your relationship between water volume in the sump and level of clogged. You could definitely put something in, like a piece of acrylic, that would slow the fall of the water. The elevated downpipe would be the ultimate fix though.

Krampus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what is REALLY interesting. The water level in my overflow is actually below the U in my duroso. How is that even possible?
giphy.gif

Back