Two Spot Bristletooth bullied badly

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randomly, my gem tang decided to beat up my Bristletooth Tang for 1-2 days straight. The aftermath is pretty bad.

The gem tang has been quarantined to the sump and the rock work has been overhauled to break up any territory crap.

Can anyone help me help this guy make a proper recovery?

IMG_0696.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Randomly, my gem tang decided to beat up my Bristletooth Tang for 1-2 days straight. The aftermath is pretty bad.

The gem tang has been quarantined to the sump and the rock work has been overhauled to break up any territory crap.

IMG_0696.jpeg
Vitamin supplement will not help with this as its an immunity booster. You need to isolate the aggressor to allow fins structure to repair itself and figure what to do with aggressor to prevent reoccurrence in the future. It will then heal on its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0696.jpeg
Fish are pretty resilient, it may recover on its own once separated. Two things can aid it recovery, but cannot be done in the display tank: antibiotics to fight possible secondary infection and lower the salinity to help balance the fish’s blood with the water due to its broken skin.
Feed the fish well of course, but extra vitamins won’t help.

Jay

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are pretty resilient, it may recover on its own once separated. Two things can aid it recovery, but cannot be done in the display tank: antibiotics to fight possible secondary infection and lower the salinity to help balance the fish’s blood with the water due to its broken skin.

Jay
Any antibiotic recommendations (brand or product)?

I’m trying to identify how long I’ll have to keep them separated as well.

My biggest concern is how long it takes the Bristletooth to rehome itself post gem separation. He’s mostly hiding in the back corner walls and seems to be avoiding seeking out caves yet (there are plenty unclaimed atm).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any antibiotic recommendations (brand or product)?

I’m trying to identify how long I’ll have to keep them separated as well.

My biggest concern is how long it takes the Bristletooth to rehome itself post gem separation. He’s mostly hiding in the back corner walls and seems to be avoiding seeking out caves yet (there are plenty unclaimed atm).
You would want to use a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic such as neomycin or kanaplex.

I just want to avoid people using vitamins as a “cure” for fish issues.

Fat soluble vitamins are toxic in overdose situations. Water soluble ones just get broken down and excreted if fed to excess. The only vitamins that are sometimes in short supply in fish diets are B1 and E.

Jay

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitamin supplement will not help with this as its an IMMUNITY BOOSTER. You need to isolate the aggressor to allow fins structure to repair itself and figure what to do with aggressor to prevent reoccurrence in the future. It will then heal on its own
Immunity booster? Immunity to what? Disease, secondary infection?
Fish are pretty resilient, it may recover on its own once separated. Two things can aid it recovery, but cannot be done in the display tank: antibiotics to fight possible SECONDARY INFECTION and lower the salinity to help balance the fish’s blood with the water due to its broken skin.

Jay
IMG_0506.JPG

Won't help, appears it can't hurt.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to identify how long I’ll have to keep them separated as well
It's very possible you may never be able to keep them together. I've had to permanently move fish due to aggression. What size tank do you have them in? Smaller tanks tend to increase aggression levels IME

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible you may never be able to keep them together. I've had to permanently move fish due to aggression. What size tank do you have them in? Smaller tanks tend to increase aggression levels IME
It’s a waterbox 150.4. I have a 260 gallon tank in the works, but that will take a few months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Immunity booster? Immunity to what? Disease, secondary infection?

IMG_0506.JPG

Won't help, appear it can't hurt.
As it states- helps boost immunity system for disease resistance and vitamin deficiencies

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back