Two tanks one skimmer

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I have two tanks one is brand new already cycled using Microbacter Start XLM and three fish in there (Chromis, Maroon Clownfish and a Yellow tang). I have a skimmer that I am planning on to move from my older system to the new one after giving it a good vinegar bath. My question is when should I move the skimmer? I havent done any water changes on the new tank yet either? which one do you suggest? shall I continue using the skimmer until I move all the fish from the old tank to the new one then move the SKimmer or do that when I move the reminder two tangs Brown and Purple from the old system to the new one?

I have checked for Nitrates on the new tank and they are around 25ppm using salifert and undetectable ammonia and nitrite. I think the tank is in ugly stage where I can see very little diatom on the front glass of the aquarium.

Cheers!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi imo move skimmer uncleaned to new system 24-36 hrs prior to moving fish make sure temp/salinity is same and acclimate like new fish happy reefing

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the reply. In my older system I have had an issue where I couldnt identify as I dont have any microscope. I have a brown algae like thing covering all my sand and I am afraid to get that in the new tank as well. Do you think leaving the skimmer uncleaned would carry on some of the infection of the brown thing to the new tank?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes possible def clean skimmer ,no water transfer

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back