TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more measurable progress tonight.

I primed and cemented the pre-Union pvc to the overflow. I wasn’t worried about the purple color of the primer because my PVC is black and I am going to paint the white fittings:
IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg

I used stainless steel pipe clamps with rubber grips combined with spacers and stainless steel screws to prevent the weight of the PVC and accompanying water from stressing the glass:
IMG_3207.jpeg

IMG_3213.jpeg

IMG_3214.jpeg

I added a water change drain because I think I’m fancy:
IMG_3216.jpeg

I measured, cut and dry-fit downpipes for both the main and emergency drains with the intention of them terminating 1.5 inches below the sump water level. I also shortened the diagonal emergency drain line to shorten the horizontal run to conserve horizontal sump space, and make it even with the main drain:
IMG_3208.jpeg

I received my perfect-sized sump baffles with adjustable water level weir and dry fitted them with a 9-inch sump water level in mind. I considered making them myself, but acrylic sheets are quite expensive on their own and I only have basic power tools and hand tools, so getting pre-fab was more cost effective for me:
IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

I ordered 50 feet of 1” braided vinyl tubing because it was 50% off and ended up being cheaper than buying 25 feet which was the shortest length on Amazon. I’ll use it to attach my Reefbreeders nautilus DC return pump to the PVC return plumbing:
IMG_3211.jpeg

I drank some whiskey because tank plumbing is more fun with a buzz:
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build!
Wondering though, with the placement of the wc drain, won't you only be able to drain the amount in the overflow box?
Well, my thought was I’d leave the return pump on, and shut it off when I’ve drained the desired amount via the water change drain. Since the emergency drain has an upward standpipe, the water pumped up by the return from the 40 breeder sump would be diverted to the water change drain. But for sure, let me know if my logic is flawed!
image.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my thought was I’d leave the return pump on, and shut it off when I’ve drained the desired amount via the water change drain. Since the emergency drain has an upward standpipe, the water pumped up by the return from the 40 breeder sump would be diverted to the water change drain. But for sure, let me know if my logic is flawed!
image.jpg
Well, my sump has a dedicated return pump chamber that would quickly run dry if I used the method you described...

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my sump has a dedicated return pump chamber that would quickly run dry if I used the method you described...
that’s a good point, and admittedly I didn’t think about it fully until you brought it up. By my calculations I can drop the adjustable weir in the sump by 2” which will free up roughly 4-5 gallons of water, which is exactly what I need for my bucket! I really appreciate that critique, thank you.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sprayed drain fittings dry-fitted and looking good.
IMG_3319.jpeg

I also sprayed the return fittings.
IMG_3320.jpeg

I think the hole I drilled for the return may be a bit too large. I will order some rubber sheet to cut a new, thicker bulkhead gasket (need more OD, same ID)
IMG_3322.jpeg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looks great so far!

I just picked up 2 low boys today. I plan to drill them tomorrow and if that goes well I will proceed with the build. I've drilled plenty of tanks in the past, but never on glass as thin as these tanks have. Ahoyld be... fun?

What size are your drains? I've got 1.5" bulkheads so that's what I'm thinking for the drain lines.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far!

I just picked up 2 low boys today. I plan to drill them tomorrow and if that goes well I will proceed with the build. I've drilled plenty of tanks in the past, but never on glass as thin as these tanks have. Ahoyld be... fun?

What size are your drains? I've got 1.5" bulkheads so that's what I'm thinking for the drain lines.
Thanks! Lowboys are such cool tanks, and a great value. 60mm hole saw for the drain, overflow has 2 drains, both 1” pvc

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks! Lowboys are such cool tanks, and a great value. 60mm hole saw for the drain, overflow has 2 drains, both 1” pvc

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I drilled both of my tanks a little while ago and am happy to report that I didn't break either of them, lol. Each tank has two 1.5" drains (one for back up/emergency) and a 3/4" return.

I'm about to run to Lowes to get some silicone and paint (going to paint the bottom of the tanks black as they will be dedicated frag/grow out tanks). I think I'm going to install the overflow boxes tonight. I hope to have a stand built and everything ready to go by the end of next weekend. I'll probably start a thread for them once I have a little more progress to show.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I drilled both of my tanks a little while ago and am happy to report that I didn't break either of them, lol. Each tank has two 1.5" drains (one for back up/emergency) and a 3/4" return.

I'm about to run to Lowes to get some silicone and paint (going to paint the bottom of the tanks black as they will be dedicated frag/grow out tanks). I think I'm going to install the overflow boxes tonight. I hope to have a stand built and everything ready to go by the end of next weekend. I'll probably start a thread for them once I have a little more progress to show.
Awesome! Hope to see it soon. I considered going with black bottom but I see white infrequently so thought it would be a good change of pace. If there’s anything I can help with let me know :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Awesome! Hope to see it soon. I considered going with black bottom but I see white infrequently so thought it would be a good change of pace. If there’s anything I can help with let me know :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Ironically, I made a last minute switch at the hardware store. The bottom of my tanks will be gray. I've been in the hobby for a really long time and have had a TON of tanks over the years. All have either had a black bottom, black back, or both. I figured I would change it up a bit this time.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a new gasket for the return line bulkhead to accommodate the slightly-too-large hole I drilled - it’s not cosmetically perfect, but I think it’ll do the job!
IMG_3341.jpeg
IMG_3342.jpeg
IMG_3343.jpeg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I cut a new gasket for the return line bulkhead to accommodate the slightly-too-large hole I drilled - it’s not cosmetically perfect, but I think it’ll do the job!
IMG_3341.jpeg
IMG_3342.jpeg
IMG_3343.jpeg

That should do the trick! I installed my overflows last night but didn't do anything with my lowboys today. I work all weekend but may try to knock out some more work on the tanks early next week.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dry fitted the return line with the new bulkhead gasket and sprayed fittings:
IMG_3360.jpeg

I used the old boiling water technique to force the braided vinyl onto the PVC for return pump connection:
IMG_3358.jpeg

I secured the vinyl to PVC connection with a stainless steel pipe clamp:
IMG_3362.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I glued the return lines together. I also attached a pipe support to the stand to prevent the glass from bearing the weight of the lines and water:
IMG_3419.jpeg
IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg

There is a noticeable gap on the interior glass at the bulkhead due to my less than perfect glass drilling… I’ll silicone around the entire interior side of the bulkhead later:
IMG_3423.jpeg

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back