Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool build! I used similar looking braided vinyl tubing for my UV sterilizer and found out it was depositing tin into the water after running an ICP test. I lost a couple SPS and one acan and all others had stunted growth. Since replacing the braided vinyl with silicone things have bounced back. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool build! I used similar looking braided vinyl tubing for my UV sterilizer and found out it was depositing tin into the water after running an ICP test. I lost a couple SPS and one acan and all others had stunted growth. Since replacing the braided vinyl with silicone things have bounced back. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Thanks for the heads up! I did make a point to buy BPA-free non-toxic vinyl reinforced with polyester yarn rather than metal braid, so hopefully I won’t run into that issue…

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP9X has been mounted with my DIY hanger and black chain. It needs a bit of fine tuning to the physical position and some wire management, but I’m happy with how it turned out. I’ll leave it on 10% intensity for now since only a couple Damsels currently live here.

IMG_4159.jpeg
IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP9X has been mounted with my DIY hanger and black chain. It needs a bit of fine tuning to the physical position and some wire management, but I’m happy with how it turned out. I’ll leave it on 10% intensity for now since only a couple Damsels currently live here.

IMG_4159.jpeg
IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
The light setup looks great!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try my hand at making some frag racks since this build was originally intended to be a frag system. I’ll probably give a shot at “fragging” some Xenia I have in my display once these are set up. I’ll smash up some larger rock to use as weights to keep these racks from blowing around the tank.

IMG_4177.jpeg
IMG_4176.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first inmates have been added to the frag racks. Some nice healthy Xenia fragged from a big rock in my display. I placed some empty plugs adjacent to them in hopes of natural new frags as they spread.
IMG_4182.jpeg
IMG_4183.jpeg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So far so good!

I finally finished plumbing my new system the other day and started adding water. I have one of the lowboys filled up and circulating with the sump but still need about 20 more gallons of water for the second tank to be ready to start circulating as well. My rodi has been putting in some overtime the last few days, lol. Still have to build light fixtures and get the electrical sorted out. Then I'll be done, for the most part.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good!

I finally finished plumbing my new system the other day and started adding water. I have one of the lowboys filled up and circulating with the sump but still need about 20 more gallons of water for the second tank to be ready to start circulating as well. My rodi has been putting in some overtime the last few days, lol. Still have to build light fixtures and get the electrical sorted out. Then I'll be done, for the most part.
Where’s that build thread?? Pics or it didn’t happen :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Where’s that build thread?? Pics or it didn’t happen :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Haha no kidding! I've been working a lot (I work rotating shifts... holidays, nights, etc) and have only had time sporadically to work on the tanks. I'll start a thread at some point... maybe. Lol.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t able to get a pic because I was worried moving at all would scare him off, but while staring at my fuge top down with my face inches from the water, I saw the my mantis hitchhiker is still alive and well! He definitely grew a bit and is definitely over and inch long now and fatter than when he arrived on my TBS live rock. Such a pleasure to know he’s thriving! I may have to start adding some bits of meaty foods for him to enjoy; he was “hunting” around the rock and sand seemingly punching nothing - maybe pods?

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new additions today! I picked up a gorgeous, PAIRED couple of Gold Flake Maroon clowns for only $30 each! Great feeling when you find just the right fish on a random visit to LFS. Don’t mind the dots on the second pic, it’s on the glass.

I also snagged a great looking candy cane frag, the first LPS resident of the frag system. Pulsing Xenia is doing great, hopefully soon it will spread to the adjacent frags so I have some “merchandise” :grinning-squinting-face:

IMG_4521.jpeg
IMG_4523.jpeg
IMG_4524.jpeg
IMG_4525.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new additions today! I picked up a gorgeous, PAIRED couple of Gold Flake Maroon clowns for only $30 each! Great feeling when you find just the right fish on a random visit to LFS. Don’t mind the dots on the second pic, it’s on the glass.

I also snagged a great looking candy cane frag, the first LPS resident of the frag system. Pulsing Xenia is doing great, hopefully soon it will spread to the adjacent frags so I have some “merchandise” :grinning-squinting-face:

IMG_4521.jpeg
IMG_4523.jpeg
IMG_4524.jpeg
IMG_4525.jpeg
Nice looking clowns!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag collection is growing slowly but surely. I’ve started to make a habit of buying lonely/raggedy looking frags at various LFS to “rescue” them and watch them recover. Fish are all super happy, but my lyretail anthias is a picky brat that will only eat frozen food, she will literally eat a flake and spit it right out.

In the fuge, one of my large hermits died… it had some missing legs, so I’m wondering if it got battered by my mantis shrimp while it was trying to molt or change shells…

IMG_4659.jpeg
IMG_4660.jpeg
IMG_4661.jpeg
IMG_4662.jpeg
IMG_4663.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg
IMG_4670.jpeg
IMG_4672.jpeg
IMG_4676.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back