Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey does the water drop off after those baffles loud? My sump I'm building has a similar drop off and I'm worried it might make too much noise.
No actually. It's very silent. My whole DT is extremely quite. Only thing that makes my room noisy is the HOB filters for my QT tanks.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @Billldg,

So since we've last talked, I wanted to shed some lights and see what your thoughts are.

I dropped down my dos auto water changes to about 8-10% weekly.

Reduced feeding from three time a day, to one.

What I have noticed was about a week and a half ago, I started getting a hair algea outbreak. Phosphates were still reading zero, but my chateo was taking off and the algea, so assuming they were consuming the phosphates. And I still read zero Nitrates.

Then about a week ago, I'm now registering about .03-.05 phospates for the last week. Even though my feedings are down to one. Is that odd?

Wether reading zero or not, all my coral look and are doing amazing. SPS, LPS, and I do have bunch of colonies as well. All doing great.

Skimmer I have turned down to try and light skim.

Couple other questions,

--Cleaning sand bed, yes or no? I've only done it once since tank start up last Mar. Tank has a lot of flow, so not any real visual build ups. Cleaning bad good or bad?

--Dosing, my parameters are stable, and coral growing nicely. I have dos set that Alk and Cal are dosed equally throughout the day, half hour increments. Currently 96ml of each(24hrs). Over the last month, each week I up the dose amount by about .6ml(per interval) How do you know when to stop upping the dos amounts. My parameters are a rock, plus minus a point, but are always
Alk 8.7
Cal 395
Mag 1260

--Vibrant....good or bad? Seen so may mixed reviews. I did grab a bottle, but havnt dosed it. Considering I have about forty different coral currently in the tank, and a massive ball of chateo growing nicely, I dont want any I'll effects from it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help, cheers

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @Billldg,

So since we've last talked, I wanted to shed some lights and see what your thoughts are.

I dropped down my dos auto water changes to about 8-10% weekly.

Reduced feeding from three time a day, to one.

What I have noticed was about a week and a half ago, I started getting a hair algea outbreak. Phosphates were still reading zero, but my chateo was taking off and the algea, so assuming they were consuming the phosphates. And I still read zero Nitrates.

Then about a week ago, I'm now registering about .03-.05 phospates for the last week. Even though my feedings are down to one. Is that odd?

Wether reading zero or not, all my coral look and are doing amazing. SPS, LPS, and I do have bunch of colonies as well. All doing great.

Skimmer I have turned down to try and light skim.

Couple other questions,

--Cleaning sand bed, yes or no? I've only done it once since tank start up last Mar. Tank has a lot of flow, so not any real visual build ups. Cleaning bad good or bad?

--Dosing, my parameters are stable, and coral growing nicely. I have dos set that Alk and Cal are dosed equally throughout the day, half hour increments. Currently 96ml of each(24hrs). Over the last month, each week I up the dose amount by about .6ml(per interval) How do you know when to stop upping the dos amounts. My parameters are a rock, plus minus a point, but are always
Alk 8.7
Cal 395
Mag 1260

--Vibrant....good or bad? Seen so may mixed reviews. I did grab a bottle, but havnt dosed it. Considering I have about forty different coral currently in the tank, and a massive ball of chateo growing nicely, I dont want any I'll effects from it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help, cheers
One thing I have learned is that the more I learn about tank chemistry the less I actually know, lol! Nitrates and phosphates are linked in their usage, I am just not sure to what extent, @Randy Holmes-Farley , can you please shed some light on this as I am also curious. I would keep your chaeto trimmed down on the small side, as it gets bigger it will consume more to grow. I would try and use some neonitro to raise the nitrates to balance the .05 phosphates. Be careful on raising your Alk any higher, as Alk gets higher on low nutrient tanks you can get burnt tips on sps.

On cleaning you sand bed, I clean roughly a 1/3 of my sand bed monthly to get anything that I don’t want in my tank from collecting, I do this now because when I had my tank crash a while ago I was batting Dinos and I was bad about cleaning my sand. Well, I cleaned all of my sand while battling Dino’s and I must have release something because shortly after, like an hour later, my tank crashed. So now I do partial cleanings to make sure nothing is trapped and to stir it up.

On vibrant, not really sure, I gave it a try as my bryopsis was coming back and I had some cyano starting to build and after dosing it, the cyano tripled in size, so I will be switching to something else to combat the cyano as I don’t want to take a chance.

I am glad things are starting to head in the right direction and that the tank is looking even better.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily,

In your opinion, will I have an issue running six tangs through QT all together, un devided in the tank?

First tank they hit together is my 40B for first few weeks. Then next QT is about 50-60G, Before DT. They will all be about 3" in size, apparently.

Side question- Achillies golden hybrid and convict comparable? I understand same genus. Does the fact one will be larger than the other help? Or still rule applies no duplicate of same genus, especially the achillies being one of them.

Thanks

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily,

In your opinion, will I have an issue running six tangs through QT all together, un devided in the tank?

First tank they hit together is my 40B for first few weeks. Then next QT is about 50-60G, Before DT. They will all be about 3" in size, apparently.

Side question- Achillies golden hybrid and convict comparable? I understand same genus. Does the fact one will be larger than the other help? Or still rule applies no duplicate of same genus, especially the achillies being one of them.

Thanks
Here's an awesome article about running tangs together.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily,

Thanks
Bump @4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily,

Thanks
I wouldn’t use a QT smaller than 55, as ammonia impacts tangs in QT more than some fish, particularly acanthurus.

Here is another article on tangs.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily,

Thanks
Regarding convict and hybrid Achilles the hybrid will be much more aggressive and larger. They don’t quarrel much together due to the temperament and appearance difference, despite being the same genus. Of course with tangs you never know for sure. Convict are usually quite docile.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed all the Hydra 26s and my Orpkek light bars. I have put up the Noopsyche hybrid that I won, and couldnt be happier with the par and growth, light has been up for nearly 8 weeks. Only down side is controling it, they have no app.

I've then gone and put up two hydras over my QT tank, which has helped a ton compared to the two ai prime HD I had over it.

20191116_134019.jpg 20191116_134526.jpg 20191116_165657.jpg 20191116_192255.jpg 20191116_192303.jpg 20191231_084256.jpg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @rkpetersen @SuncrestReef,

Can either of you help me out with a line of code for fusion email alarms.

I want to be alerted when my second heater is activated, but when I try to input this it won't except it.

'IF SUMP_HEATER2 ON THEN ON'
'IF POWER SUMP_HEATER2 ON THEN ON'
'IF SUMP_HEATER2 POWER ON THEN ON'

Neither of these work, but something like this I'd like.

(Also I need to learn how to use virtual outlets, I still dont fully understand how use them)

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @rkpetersen @SuncrestReef,

Can either of you help me out with a line of code for fusion email alarms.

I want to be alerted when my second heater is activated, but when I try to input this it won't except it.

'IF SUMP_HEATER2 ON THEN ON'
'IF POWER SUMP_HEATER2 ON THEN ON'
'IF SUMP_HEATER2 POWER ON THEN ON'

Neither of these work, but something like this I'd like.

(Also I need to learn how to use virtual outlets, I still dont fully understand how use them)

Maybe try:

"IF OUTPUT SUMP_HEATER2 ON THEN ON"

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders

I've had gotten my next batch of fish into QT last wed night, straight from phillipines without hitting a LFS. I got one of the new Corazons damsel, sweet and eating like a pig. BUT, I got a nice healthy Gem tang, 4" in size and nice and healthy. But wont eat from what I can see. Suggestions?

I've tried green nori, pellets, flake and mysis mixed with cyclops, shows no interest.

One day after arrival started first dose of prazi. So only meds they have been in yo date, has been prazi.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders

I've had gotten my next batch of fish into QT last wed night, straight from phillipines without hitting a LFS. I got one of the new Corazons damsel, sweet and eating like a pig. BUT, I got a nice healthy Gem tang, 4" in size and nice and healthy. But wont eat from what I can see. Suggestions?

I've tried green nori, pellets, flake and mysis mixed with cyclops, shows no interest.

One day after arrival started first dose of prazi. So only meds they have been in yo date, has been prazi.

Bump, @HotRocks @4FordFamily any thoughts on above question for gem?

Also, I have purple, yellow and blue hippo in post treatment observation. Copper, then two rounds of prazi, then observe.

It's been 18 days, since prazi completion. Day or two ago noticed what looked like one, maybe two spots on purple tang. In your opinion sounds like maybe ich or na? It's gone now from what I can see. Just dont want to risk dt. Other dish show nothing.

Would blue hippo show ich first/more prodoment as there apparent ich magnets if it were there?

Thanks

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back