Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders

I've had gotten my next batch of fish into QT last wed night, straight from phillipines without hitting a LFS. I got one of the new Corazons damsel, sweet and eating like a pig. BUT, I got a nice healthy Gem tang, 4" in size and nice and healthy. But wont eat from what I can see. Suggestions?

I've tried green nori, pellets, flake and mysis mixed with cyclops, shows no interest.

One day after arrival started first dose of prazi. So only meds they have been in yo date, has been prazi.
One side effect of prazi is appetite suppression. If the fish look good I wouldnt worry too much, theyll start eating eventually. If they dont bring them fully out of medication and see if that triggers their appetite. Also make sure you have lots of surface agitation as prazi depletes O2 levels. Keep your temperature low, I like to stay around 75-76 degrees in my qt.
#reefsquad any other thoughts?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you placing the nori, on a clip, rock, pvc? I have found that most tangs don't like to eat it froma clip in
QT, at least for me they don't. I always rubber band it to a piece of pvc. Also, have you tried adding garlic, I have never used it, but hear it helps to get them to eat.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One side effect of prazi is appetite suppression. If the fish look good I wouldnt worry too much, theyll start eating eventually.

+1 to this. The first and only time I tried using prazi, 1 fish stopped eating and the 2nd fish died in the second week. Once the medicine cycle was done, the 1st fish started eating again like it was before the medication period.

Going forward my observation is to only medicate if the fish is showing signs of disease. Otherwise it's sort of like taking a tylonol when you don't have a headache.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One side effect of prazi is appetite suppression. If the fish look good I wouldnt worry too much, theyll start eating eventually. If they dont bring them fully out of medication and see if that triggers their appetite. Also make sure you have lots of surface agitation as prazi depletes O2 levels. Keep your temperature low, I like to stay around 75-76 degrees in my qt.
#reefsquad any other thoughts?

Lots of aeration yes, like usual. I've just done large water change and added carbon back. I'll get all meds out of water and see what happens.

Any other thoughts regarding my question regarding other three tangs? Out of those three, would you suspect if it was ich, that it would be well pronounced on blue hippo, as their apparent ich magnets? Cross contamination is possible, but I'm crazy with my testing, and prevention of cross contamination. But anything can happen I guess.

How are you placing the nori, on a clip, rock, pvc? I have found that most tangs don't like to eat it froma clip in
QT, at least for me they don't. I always rubber band it to a piece of pvc. Also, have you tried adding garlic, I have never used it, but hear it helps to get them to eat.

I've only placed on a clip. I have added selcon, but not much interest. I'll try using a band to piece of rock or pvc

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billldg Thanks. Apparently must not like the clip. But nori using elastic band to a piece of pipe, and seems to be grazing. Thanks :)
I am glad to hear it, Gem tangs are beautiful fish.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm pretty sure I've cross contaminated my qt tanks...ugh. might be ich might not, but not taking the chance, so back in copper they go :(. Yellow, purple and blue hippo tangs.

On a postive not, my coral growth has been insane, especially sps. So I decided to add a frag tank to my DT system. Location shown in old photo. Located under QT tanks.

Acrylic tank will be 50"L x 21"W x 14"D. Will be protected with acrylic panel, just like I've done with my sump. Thinking of getting a Cor15 just to feed it I'm thinking. Should add about 50g more of water volume to system I'm thinking.

After winning them @noopsyche lights, which has created my insane growth. I was left with my remaining Hydras that I can now use for this frag tank, along with reef brite bars I previously had on DT.

Example of growth from these @noopsyche. My Rainbow Millipora colony photo below. Also my Pink Cadillac colony in qt, then in DT with growth and colour up.

20200211_074222.jpg 20200211_075244.jpg 20200211_075806.jpg

eric8625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm pretty sure I've cross contaminated my qt tanks...ugh. might be ich might not, but not taking the chance, so back in copper they go :(. Yellow, purple and blue hippo tangs.

On a postive not, my coral growth has been insane, especially sps. So I decided to add a frag tank to my DT system. Location shown in old photo. Located under QT tanks.

Acrylic tank will be 50"L x 21"W x 14"D. Will be protected with acrylic panel, just like I've done with my sump. Thinking of getting a Cor15 just to feed it I'm thinking. Should add about 50g more of water volume to system I'm thinking.

After winning them @noopsyche lights, which has created my insane growth. I was left with my remaining Hydras that I can now use for this frag tank, along with reef brite bars I previously had on DT.

Example of growth from these @noopsyche. My Rainbow Millipora colony photo below. Also my Pink Cadillac colony in qt, then in DT with growth and colour up.

20200211_074222.jpg 20200211_075244.jpg 20200211_075806.jpg
Absolutely stunning set up. Amazing work and thought put into it. Curious where you get your stuff from as I’m also in Ontario, Burlington to be exact.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely stunning set up. Amazing work and thought put into it. Curious where you get your stuff from as I’m also in Ontario, Burlington to be exact.
I'm in Waterloo. Coral and fish come from a few places. But typically A local place and one in Mississauga. One of which nearly supplies every store in Ontario to many of the states. He's literally one of the biggest suppliers to New York aswell. And I also tend to go after the hard to get pieces, so I go straight to the sources that bring them in.

eric8625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Waterloo. Coral and fish come from a few places. But typically A local place and one in Mississauga. One of which nearly supplies every store in Ontario to many of the states. He's literally one of the biggest suppliers to New York aswell. And I also tend to go after the hard to get pieces, so I go straight to the sources that bring them in.

Nice, I’m going to be in Kitchener this weekend for my daughters cheer competition. Is the place in Mississauga by the airport? I believe I have an idea who your talking about. I’m in the process of setting up a new tank and smaller fish room, I can only dream for it to be half as nice as yours.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I’m going to be in Kitchener this weekend for my daughters cheer competition. Is the place in Mississauga by the airport? I believe I have an idea who your talking about. I’m in the process of setting up a new tank and smaller fish room, I can only dream for it to be half as nice as yours.
Yup, near the airport ;). Feel free to pop and check it out if you wish.

And thanks, I tried to think of everything for this build lol

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, finally realized vibrant will not touch this bryopsis that I have. Almost like it fuels it honestly. So, the time has come to use Reef Flux. I have my fingers crossed as I dont want to lose any corals :(. But, it's starting to spread like wild fire so I must act.

#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders,
When I turn off my skimmer for this treatment, will I have any aeration problems etc, with the skimmer turned off?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, finally realized vibrant will not touch this bryopsis that I have. Almost like it fuels it honestly. So, the time has come to use Reef Flux. I have my fingers crossed as I dont want to lose any corals :(. But, it's starting to spread like wild fire so I must act.

#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders,
When I turn off my skimmer for this treatment, will I have any aeration problems etc, with the skimmer turned off?
As long as you have good surface agitation in the tank I wouldnt think so.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry clarify....direct returns?

To cause surface agitation, what I'm suggesting is directing/pointing your return lines towards the surface so it breaks the water surface. Your return lines may already do this which is why I added the more than usual comment.

eric8625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks amazing in pictures but is on a whole other level in person. It was nice meeting and chatting with you on Saturday, and thank you very much for the tour of your incredible system.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back