Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, another thing I want, that's so expensive. I'll dose two part for now. But would like one, along with trident in future hopefully.

Worst part about my build to date?

THE CANADIAN DOLLAR IS PATHETIC.

Think of everything you've ever bought. Now add 25%. What a joke
yes you do not need to get it butter in a year or so you will want to switch depending on coral growth...and depending on how many ml you dose daily.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SRaquaristik products for dosing. What's the difference between the BRS pharma pouches? Stronger?

20190618_202407.jpg
never used it but you should be fine with that, brs might be cheaper but not sure

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never used it but you should be fine with that, brs might be cheaper but not sure

This is the constant problem. Without spending a fortune at brs. Nothing is worth buying from them. It SUCKS. Photo below is what it would cost me USD just to ship.

And I'm southern Ontario an hour from border, so stupid.

20190625_155050.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, since I made my feeding ring for my display, from acyrlic. I had a couple more ideas for it. Was sick of my Hanna checkers vials and syringes lying around. So I made a drying rack. I think it turned out great.

Up next, a fish acclimation box/fish trap, because honestly, why not lol

20190606_121842.jpg

20190606_092651.jpg

20190606_142514.jpg

20190606_142518.jpg

20190606_155817.jpg

20190606_155839.jpg
So cool!

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the constant problem. Without spending a fortune at brs. Nothing is worth buying from them. It SUCKS. Photo below is what it would cost me USD just to ship.

And I'm southern Ontario an hour from border, so stupid.

20190625_155050.jpg
Ouch. So, yea the stuff you have is fine. BRS is pharma grade and comes in perfectly sized pouches where 1 pouch makes 1 gallon, and they have a calculator on their site that tells you exactly how much to dose for how much gain. Some of those things other vendors might do as well, not sure. Certainly not enough to justify that shipping cost. I just got it from them since they had a set with the gallon jugs, pump dispensers, funnels, and pouches so I didn't have to source multiple things. I like easy. That said, again, you'll be fine with what you have. Same rules apply. Just follow the directions on their pouch on how to mix it up, and away you go. Limit it to 1 dkH swing per day and easy peasy.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. So, yea the stuff you have is fine. BRS is pharma grade and comes in perfectly sized pouches where 1 pouch makes 1 gallon, and they have a calculator on their site that tells you exactly how much to dose for how much gain. Some of those things other vendors might do as well, not sure. Certainly not enough to justify that shipping cost. I just got it from them since they had a set with the gallon jugs, pump dispensers, funnels, and pouches so I didn't have to source multiple things. I like easy. That said, again, you'll be fine with what you have. Same rules apply. Just follow the directions on their pouch on how to mix it up, and away you go. Limit it to 1 dkH swing per day and easy peasy.

I ended up contacting Sraquaristik because the brs calculator made no sense (because this product isnt on their list) And there package didnt show any instructions for proper ratios. They replied with great information, and provide a link to their calculator. So I feel confident now when I dose, the percentages will be right.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I LOVE this yellow elegance coral. Looks fake.

Any how, this raises a questions. Do you guys follow any cardinal rules for coral placment. I understand par level ect. But pertaining to flow is my interest.
I know thing like elegance etc like low flow and what not. But what about euphilia and others that sway in the flow. Would you temp glue them, and if they dont like break of and move? Any suggestions?

20190625_201459.jpg

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I LOVE this yellow elegance coral. Looks fake.

Any how, this raises a questions. Do you guys follow any cardinal rules for coral placment. I understand par level ect. But pertaining to flow is my interest.
I know thing like elegance etc like low flow and what not. But what about euphilia and others that sway in the flow. Would you temp glue them, and if they dont like break of and move? Any suggestions?

20190625_201459.jpg
My experience par is easy flow can be tricky. My trumpet corals seem to hate wherever I put them regardless of "flow recommendations". Right now all my corals are "trial placed". I don't have them glued but I have the plugs held just by wedging them in. If they like where they are then i'll be cutting and mounting them.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my corals where I think they will do well and also where I like them.

I haven't glued any yet in my career. I could see gluing SPS and LPS when you get them to a spot they and you life.

I never have and never will glue soft coral. It should glue itself down rather quickly.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience par is easy flow can be tricky. My trumpet corals seem to hate wherever I put them regardless of "flow recommendations". Right now all my corals are "trial placed". I don't have them glued but I have the plugs held just by wedging them in. If they like where they are then i'll be cutting and mounting them.
i do the same and try to place them close to where i want them and see how they do, you will know in a day or two and flow seems to be just as important as par/light. they are pricey these days (coral) so i am a bit stressed every time i add coral until i feel they like their placement.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do the same and try to place them close to where i want them and see how they do, you will know in a day or two and flow seems to be just as important as par/light. they are pricey these days (coral) so i am a bit stressed every time i add coral until i feel they like their placement.

I agree. Ok so I'll start by wedging them in and see if they like it or not. Some of my larger pieces QT is over in about 10 days. Super excited to get them in.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fourth time now my neptune modules have acted up. Last night my sump ATO went off for 5 min until float kicked it off.
Ughhh

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 i have to send in two fmm modules in, for different reasons. Really annoying actually. I make ticket and of course they see nothing wrong.

I've even had a fmm module send pmup into error. Shuts off ato. And out of the blue, back on line. But, fusion says you have new tiles, as though your setting up for first time. So both opticals for ato. And opticals for my automatic rodi arnt there. At one point, my rodi tripped on cause water level was low. In the night fmm trips out. And of course, now there was nothing to shut off solinoid vavle, because optical was in that fmm. So annoying, luckily I caught it and turned off manually before it overflowed reservoir.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 i have to send in two fmm modules in, for different reasons. Really annoying actually. I make ticket and of course they see nothing wrong.

I've even had a fmm module send pmup into error. Shuts off ato. And out of the blue, back on line. But, fusion says you have new tiles, as though your setting up for first time. So both opticals for ato. And opticals for my automatic rodi arnt there. At one point, my rodi tripped on cause water level was low. In the night fmm trips out. And of course, now there was nothing to shut off solinoid vavle, because optical was in that fmm. So annoying, luckily I caught it and turned off manually before it overflowed reservoir.
do you have manual floats setup? i use them on anything that has a pump moving water except the DOS .
interestingly enough i just had my first real problem as my apex head unit lost the ability to connect as the cat5 port and wireless would not work so they sent me a replacement unit and last night i spent 6 hours resetting up my system. FYI, there is a way to save a copy of your system setup and programming and i would do that as soon as all of your modules are working properly. the only other problem i have yet to fix is that the optical sensors in the DDR seeem to not work but they approved to fix/replace them i just have not done it yet

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have manual floats setup? i use them on anything that has a pump moving water except the DOS .
interestingly enough i just had my first real problem as my apex head unit lost the ability to connect as the cat5 port and wireless would not work so they sent me a replacement unit and last night i spent 6 hours resetting up my system. FYI, there is a way to save a copy of your system setup and programming and i would do that as soon as all of your modules are working properly. the only other problem i have yet to fix is that the optical sensors in the DDR seeem to not work but they approved to fix/replace them i just have not done it yet

Only manual floats I have are what is on ato's and my reservoir doesnt have one, probably should.

I had a optical that rusted out, Neptune replaced.

I've had to reset connection twice. Because it lost it, for whatever reason.

My conductivity probe I had to send back to Neptune. Had it returned and they had to walk me through it to set up, because calibration wasnt working. Then over last few weeks it's been floating up. So went to calibrate it again, and now its fu--ed up again. Reading 55.2 lol.

So annoying when the fmm modules reset themselves. I dont get it. It literally puts them as if there new. They dont recognize anything, and are a clean slate. There sayings its possibly a flow sensor doing it, but there not sure.

How do you save your programming? Because with how much Neptune product and programming I've already got I'd be SO annoyed lol. Literally four tanks are automated, so that would be a massive set back.

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's seriously bizarre. I've got 3 flow sensors and a water detection puck on my FMM, never had any issues with it since my 2nd setup (1st setup I screwed up so I did a reset, before it even had water in it). I've lost connection to heart beat once in 4 months because my internet flaked out. I did have an issue where a firmware update bailed mid-update and had to go through support to get that fixed (super easy).

With your conductivity probe, I had a similar issue. Try shaking it underwater or lowering your probe holder far enough that you can turn it upside down. I get microbubbles on mine and it reads crazy, soon as I get them off it's back to normal. They suggest you mount it at a slight angle with the 'notch' on the end upward so that airbubbles can escape.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's seriously bizarre. I've got 3 flow sensors and a water detection puck on my FMM, never had any issues with it since my 2nd setup (1st setup I screwed up so I did a reset, before it even had water in it). I've lost connection to heart beat once in 4 months because my internet flaked out. I did have an issue where a firmware update bailed mid-update and had to go through support to get that fixed (super easy).

With your conductivity probe, I had a similar issue. Try shaking it underwater or lowering your probe holder far enough that you can turn it upside down. I get microbubbles on mine and it reads crazy, soon as I get them off it's back to normal. They suggest you mount it at a slight angle with the 'notch' on the end upward so that airbubbles can escape.

I've honeslty tried everything with conductivity probe. Neptune is quite frustrating to deal with sometimes. They know the calibration of that probe is a know issue. Yet just create tickets and hope you can read yourself through it.

Will all the neptune gear I have, which is ALOT. Drives me nuts to wake up to alarms etc, caused by their modules. The extact things that are in place to control the parameters and alarms.

Below photo is what I woke up to one morning to alarms. One FMM module went out/off line whatever. And any aquabus after that was then dead. Like the two PM1s I used to control temps. So no signal, means to probe telling heater outlet to turn on, nice.

Photo two is another day. Different FMM. Went out and came back on after two days.( I tried unplugging, re programming etc, it's like it wasnt even able to be read by fusion). Then it prompts you that you have new tiles. My sump 1 and 2 opticals I had just dragged down prior to taking photo. But all four were up top

Screenshot_20190618-050529_Apex Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20190625-111349_Apex Fusion.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of those look ok, maybe you have your alarms set to tight, for instance, flow meters tend to drop out like that so you can set it to only let you know if it stays below min for a period of time i assume.

matter a fact i dont have but 2-3 alerts set up because they can be annoying

for flow i have no alarms except if it drops to zero so i do get one every once in a while

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back