Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton is good. I was hoping it wasn’t ICP analysis. Glad you stopped the AB+

How much ALK is being consumed? A lot of just a little.
Thoughts to above answer.

Currently

Alk 8.9
Cal 470
Mag 1400
Phos .05
Nitrate 7.2

Still havnt dosed any Calcium. Sps are all stalled. Cal basically the same as my March 20th post.

I cant for the life of me figure our why my system is stalled out.

#reefsquad

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts to above answer.

Currently

Alk 8.9
Cal 470
Mag 1400
Phos .05
Nitrate 7.2

Still havnt dosed any Calcium. Sps are all stalled. Cal basically the same as my March 20th post.

I cant for the life of me figure our why my system is stalled out.

#reefsquad

Remind me of the 2-part you’re dosing again? Also the daily consumption of ALK?

It’s consuming ALK, but not calcium or not consuming either?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remind me of the 2-part you’re dosing again? Also the daily consumption of ALK?

It’s consuming ALK, but not calcium or not consuming either?
Bionic 2 part. Seems to be only alk, which is 34ml a day. I guess weekly water changes could replenishes cal levels. I may just stop dosing alk and see what happens.

Source water is 11.4 alk and 470 cal

Amazes me that no two systems are the same. Heck the last setup could grow any sps like a weed. The growth was insane. Now this time I can't get anything to take off.

I guess I'm just getting impatient these days with this issue.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bionic 2 part. Seems to be only alk, which is 34ml a day. I guess weekly water changes could replenishes cal levels. I may just stop dosing alk and see what happens.

Source water is 11.4 alk and 470 cal

Amazes me that no two systems are the same. Heck the last setup could grow any sps like a weed. The growth was insane. Now this time I can't get anything to take off.

I guess I'm just getting impatient these days with this issue.

Yes the weekly water changes will do it. Also bionic is both ALK and CAL with some MAG in the CAL component.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef I've been disconnected for 4 days now from my Apex. Had a power flicker which caused it to disconnect.

Usually it reconnects by itself but seems this time it's being stubborn.

I cant get Apex to go into wifi mode. I've held and released every interval around 6 seconds yet I can't get the icon to stay blue, entering the wifi reset.

Suggestions?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out from my previous post. My apex brain has a internal problem, that may or may not be able to be fixed. And I need to replace base unit regardless ....then proceeded to tell me I should be running two base units for the amount of items I'm running......ugh.

#reefsquad, seems I still can't get my sps to take off in this system like it once was before the rebuild. But I have no shortage of snail propagation lol. I literally cleared out the same amount of snails about 2-3 weeks ago from my sump, back into display. Seems they at least like the system...

Attachments

• 20220819_070024.jpg
    20220819_070024.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 36

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad, seems I still can't get my sps to take off in this system like it once was before the rebuild. But I have no shortage of snail propagation lol. I literally cleared out the same amount of snails about 2-3 weeks ago from my sump, back into display. Seems they at least like the system...
What water parameters are you running, and is there a specific issue with the SPS?

There can be many factors, lighting, water flow etc

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water parameters are you running, and is there a specific issue with the SPS?

There can be many factors, lighting, water flow etc
Sky's running AB+ at 55%
Phos .24
Nit 9.7
Cal 540
Alk 8.1
Mag 1390

I have refugium running and a algea scrubber and po4 is always higher than Im used to (last system was steady .02-.04). Even stopped feeding for over a week and it never dropped. A month ago p04 was .4, amd nitrate at 19. So it has come down some, but no idea why it's so high. Was dosing ab+ and acro power since tank start up, but stopped all that about 8 weeks ago.

Ever since my rebuild, I just havnt been able to get sps to take hold. I do have monti growing and a wild sps with nice growth. But all my others are just in a stalemate and won't do anything.

Over last few months I had 7 heads of dragon soul bail, but parameters didn't have any swings, so i don't know whats up with that.

I still use my Dos for water changes daily.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sky's running AB+ at 55%
Phos .24
Nit 9.7
Cal 540
Alk 8.1
Mag 1390

I have refugium running and a algea scrubber and po4 is always higher than Im used to (last system was steady .02-.04). Even stopped feeding for over a week and it never dropped. A month ago p04 was .4, amd nitrate at 19. So it has come down some, but no idea why it's so high. Was dosing ab+ and acro power since tank start up, but stopped all that about 8 weeks ago.

Ever since my rebuild, I just havnt been able to get sps to take hold. I do have monti growing and a wild sps with nice growth. But all my others are just in a stalemate and won't do anything.

Over last few months I had 7 heads of dragon soul bail, but parameters didn't have any swings, so i don't know whats up with that.

I still use my Dos for water changes daily.
I would get the phosphate level back under control and like your last tank a good target is less than around 0.03 or thereabouts

Raised phosphate can cause all sorts of issues

Have a look at rowaphos or similar, but of course you dont want to go to low or it might affect the refugium growth. Its a bit of a balancing act but if the refugium cant keep it low, you may need to help it out a little.

The calcium is on the high side but I dont think that will cause an issue

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders. So the tank is 10 months old. Still can not get the sps to take off. My parameters have been steady and solid for months. My sps poylp extension is non existent. My Chateo will not grow, but my algea scrubber will grow rhe mat. I've lost about 14 heads of euphillia about a month ago. With no sign of the reasoning. Icp test showed everything with in normal range and looking good.

Current Parameters
Nitrate- 3
Phos- .03
Cal- 470
Alk- 8.3
Mag- 1540
Sal- .025

Can't for the life of me figure this on out. So irritating.

Any suggestions would be great

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders. So the tank is 10 months old. Still can not get the sps to take off. My parameters have been steady and solid for months. My sps poylp extension is non existent. My Chateo will not grow, but my algea scrubber will grow rhe mat. I've lost about 14 heads of euphillia about a month ago. With no sign of the reasoning. Icp test showed everything with in normal range and looking good.

Current Parameters
Nitrate- 3
Phos- .03
Cal- 470
Alk- 8.3
Mag- 1540
Sal- .025

Can't for the life of me figure this on out. So irritating.

Any suggestions would be great
Flow, lighting, maybe try adding coral food as the nitrate is fairly low.

If the chaeto won’t grow, it could well be lack of nutrients, and hence also coral issues. Also check the iron level is adequate

I run nitrate anywhere around 20-40 in both systems so your at low levels. I rarely add any coral food.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow, lighting, maybe try adding coral food as the nitrate is fairly low.

If the chaeto won’t grow, it could well be lack of nutrients, and hence also coral issues. Also check the iron level is adequate

I run nitrate anywhere around 20-40 in both systems so your at low levels. I rarely add any coral food.
I dose 30 ml of AB+ daily at lights out

If it were lighting or flow? What would be any other signs? My euphillia move around quite a bit. And lighting at 6" depth of tank is around 300 par, for top of rockwork. Im running the Sky, in the sky program at about 40%.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef

I recently had to reprogram my entire system. My base unit has a problem so I need to send it back to Neptune. I have decided to switch from one base unit, into two. So my QTs are one base unit, and my DT is the other. Took awhile to prep and then start reprogramming process. Over all went pretty smooth for how much I had to do. My problem is, I had virtual outlets for my Cor20s and cant remember how I did it. It was a ramp down period only if I hit a feed mode. It was under my Virtual outlets in system dropdown.

Thanks.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope all is going well, good to see you are still here...i have been busy with life and work so I have not been on here in a long time...i am going to read through your build...

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
#reefsquadleader
#Reefsquadleaders
#plumbing

I need help.

So I decided to add a Redsea roller mat 1200, to get away from socks. Today I ripped the baffles from my first chamber in order to make room for the mat. My problem is my primary siphon gets airlocked with the new configuration. when it does, the number two line picks up the slack because of the air lock. As the corrugated tube sit much lower in the water column.

First picture shows water level under normal operation. Number 1 is full siphon. Number 2 is dead

I tried opening gate all the way, didn't help. Tried extending the number 2 line equal to where the roller mat would be attached. So the roller mat inlet drain, and number two were the same depth in water, it didn't help.

Had Redsea adapter all glued up and ready. Went to test the flow before i put unit in. And bam airlocked. What am i missing here.

20230122_184231.jpg 20230122_184250.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have really wanted to get one of these to stop dealing with socks so I am eagerly watching and waiting for the post-install review
Ya same, I hate dealing with the socks and the problems that come with them.

I think my solution is to remove the goose neck on the full siphon, then put on a vertical strainer instead. To aid in burping the air out and stopping the airlock. Either that or raising the roller which isn't possible, I think. I'm going to try removing the goose neck tonight once I'm home and see if it works.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back