Types and issues with substrate

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use crushed coral approx 1/2" deep. I was told that the coral will help serve as a buffer for alk. I do seem to constantly struggle with dendritus. My tank is a 60 gal. I have a maxspec 150 set at lowest level and two small power heads set at opposite corners pointing downward. Return pump is a danner 9.5 but due to 10' head has reduced flow. Is this substrate always going to be an issue? Should I consider coral sand? I don't want a bare bottom. Do I have some oyher problem?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate crushed coral as it just collects detritus and uneaten food. Aragonite sand is so much better, plus having just a 1/2 of substrate doesn’t really do anything. You won’t be able to have a suitable thickness of substrate to house the myriad of polychaete worms and other flora or fauna unless you go with a deeper substrate. I love deep sand beds for biological filtration which are also ideal for sand dwelling animals. Without going into to much detail, you may want to try this.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually the opposite of coralreefer1......I actually prefer to keep my substrate about 1/2 inch so it can be vacuumed with each water change without causing any issues. I do agree though, the crushed coral definitely requires more maintenance than some other substrates due to the fact that so much junk gets trapped within the larger particles. If you regularly siphon it though, you should be fine.

OP
OP
T

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I went with the 1/2" because I thought it would be easier to take care of but even though I vacuum every two weeks still looks bad. in the past I have pulled as much as I could out washed it and reinstalled--looked great for awhile. I'm about to the point of pulling it out again and going with coral sand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back